Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 31st March 2024  (Read 2830 times)

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 31st March 2024
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 08:53 BST (UK) »
Well it was a long journey for them ,either flying from Manchester to Brussels then a train or more likely we would meet them and drive to Gent, or a train journey from Manchester to Dover then sail  to Ostend or Zeebrugge and we would meet them there.

Very brave at their time of life ,late seventies , only ever been to I.O.M.before.

He would keep it going for ages, until he saw what was a fair situation .Very fair himself you see, and though only a game it had to be fair !  ::) ::) ::)

He has been like that all his life , a glitch in his first degree exam papers, all the students noticed it , he was “ GuineaPig” faced up to the Uni authorities and was offered a research project ,but only him as only he had confronted the powers that be - offered a Gas Board sponsored research project for his PhD .
He refused on the basis only he was offered one ,so we said if you accept then the other students can demand similar treatment ,he saw the sense in that so did accept and the other students got their dues as well .
But he refused to go to the ceremony so we did not have the pleasure of seeing him get his first degree in cap and gown.
That is a brief simplified account ,it was a hard slog but tenacity - well he had lots of that!
Like his Dad and paternal Grandad , honest.
 Viktoria.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 04 April 24 11:09 BST (UK) »
This week a group of us visited our local food bank, not to collect goods for ourselves, but to see how it is organised.  It is very impressive and does not only give out food, but attempts to aid those calling for the food to improve their situation, so there are links with Citizens' Advice, Social Services and others.  And it's not only food (and good advice) that they give out.  There are toiletries, nappies, cleaning products, toilet rolls and even tents and sleeping bags for rough sleepers. 

We were very impressed with the whole set-up and the care which goes into dealing with their customers.  I was surprised, however, that they try to limit their food distribution to 6 weeks per person.  This is apparently because they try to help people to improve their situation and find ways out of their food poverty.  They are working in part with the Salvation Army, who we know do a great deal to improve society, but also with other distributors, supermarkets and so on.  We all left a generous cash donation, which they can put towards the stuff which they actually buy in.   This includes apparently eggs, milk and spreads.  Local allotments donate fruit and veg, too.

They say that although the amount of food being donated has stayed roughly the same, the number of people applying for it has grown considerably, including some who are in paid work.  What a sad reflection on our society!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 04 April 24 17:38 BST (UK) »
I was quite surprised to see a chap, has nice modern house ,good car ,was on his way out  of the supermarket - stop at the food bank and take a few items.
-

I have no idea of his circumstances of course but he seemed an unlikely candidate to be so needy,he had a trolley full of food already that he had purchased.

It used to be that the collection point was for animal food for our local animal rescue Charity.

Nice sunny day today after a drizzley start , got lots of washing out and all in and “ airing” now.

Fish and chips for tea, so no cooking. Yipee!

Hope all are alright, especially those with health problems.

Viktoria.
P.S. There does not seem to be a Diary ending April 6 th ——-
Week nearly over.
My Mum’s  Birthday  6 th ,born 1896– she died 1957.
So only my first son , but he was only five months old when she died so has no memory at all of her.
I always have flowers in,the roses I had for my Dad’s  anniversary are still fresh too.
The hyacinths my first son  and  his wife brought on Sunday give off a very heady perfume , they have been lovely .

Son’s boss up in the frozen North so will “ pop in “ to see him,no time or even day, I can’t keep tidy for very long !Phew!

Cheerio.Viktoria .