Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 31st March 2024  (Read 2579 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Diary summary week ending 31st March 2024
« on: Monday 25 March 24 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon all.
This weekend the clocks change, hope I get it right to get to church on time , not like I did before and totally embarrassed  myself.

Strange day today, can't make up its mind to be dull or just a little brighter, I am finding it very cold.

Have been to the church to clean the brass  for Easter only to find everything has been stripped bare for Good Friday,  altar completely  bare down to the wooden frame.

Hope everyone is feeling brighter today.

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 31st March 2024
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 March 24 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Glad you reminded me about the clocks, completely forgot it was this weekend.

It's very cold here too. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 13:11 GMT (UK) »
I am in  a real quandary, I need to buy a new carpet cleaner, so much to choose from,   thought I would  prefer a cordless but now I am not so sure now.
My trusty one isnt picking up very well, it is getting  on and I think it does happen ., good excuse  not to do any but I won't get away with it,

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 21:33 GMT (UK) »
I bought a new Hoover ,a little while back, only £100 .
I found it very heavy after my RollerBall Dyson, so gave it to my son.
He checked my Dyson and got the brushes un -jammed .
It then picked up as efficiently as it should have done ,very manouverable .

The Hoover was only £100 ,with lots of tools and a very long hose for stairs , more safe as it can stay on the  ground floor and not above you waiting to fall on you!
It eased up a lot with use my son tells me.
I have a Morphy Richards rechargeable  one, so easy to move turns corners etc.That lives upstairs.Converts to a hand held one for vacuuming soft furnishings etc.

Well a busy day, eye check this morning ,new lens in my current frames .
One set £297 ,and I have two pairs,I fancied new frames ,in silver to match quite a bit of my hair , but all had diamantés and other bling —- not me at all.
So stuck with my present frames ,one pair away for new lens ,then the other pair can go .
What with £980 for dental treatment and £594 for glasses, I will be on
bread and water !

So cold today,sunny spells and some very heavy showers.
I was out this morning for eyes, and this afternoon two appointments for teeth .
Son took me both times but had to get back and thankfully I was very lucky with buses back .

Sad about the bridge in Baltimore lBut didn’t it look flimsy!
I don’t like bridges ,really don’t .

Well hope I remember the clocks go forward on Saturday night.
Spring forward abd Fall back.

Look after yourselves folks .
Viktoria.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for reminding me about the clocks.    Today I noticed that my Scottish ancestry tree is on the genie website - I'd forgotten I'd put it there during 2012.   I was impressed when I saw that several people had a match.  I clicked on that ancestor and saw the website had changed the person's address from the original one to one that the website thought was the nearest modern postcode.  Thus instead of "Echobank" she now (allegedly historically) lived at "no. 1 Liberton Drive, Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland".  I was unable to change the entry !!

Due to not moving much during my winter period of doing jigsaw puzzles to pass the winter days away my left leg decided to see how much is could swell and stretch the skin without splitting it.  We Brits have been urged to get our NHS prescriptions via the local chemist and not the local general practitioner doctor.  I did this and found that I had to pay over £17.00 for two tubes of gel, which is taking its time reducing the swelling and itching.

It was a mistake to think that I had piles of old documentation (old insurance, old bank statements, old etc.) that needed throwing away.  I only  found four scraps of paper that went into the bin but the rest of the pile has been family b.m.d. documents that cost me a pretty penny.

My front garden smells wonderful all due to the blue hyacinths and coupled with the yelklow daffodils and other plants it looks very colourful

I must admit that when the foreign owned Cadbury company decided we Brits would celebrate with "Gesture Eggs" I was as much annoyed as when the foreign owned Nike decided we English had a "humorous" blue colour on its flag.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 March 24 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Quite a lot of anger re the blue !
A radio programme where people could phone in to join a discussion was a real eye opener —- so many people thought the Cross of St. George was only connected to the England team !
Had no idea it was The English part of The Union Flag.
It was a revelation.
We were always taught that to deface The Union Flag was tantamount to treason!
That the broad white diagonal stripe must be at the top nearest the flagpole ,otherwise it was an insult !

Oh dear, how things change .

Very sad about the bridge ,but it looked so flimsy and will be interesting to know about the ship crashing into another bridge some time ago!

Still not found my alarm fob , but someone coming today with a new one that needs programming in I think ,no charge but I do have a Service Contract .

I must pick up a watch I left for a new battery ,forgot the documentation and
back home I find I took out lifetime battery replacement ,so will get a refund .
A pretty dainty Accurist bought in 2001 , I love it .
However it  going away means the waterproof seal will be replaced also.

Hopefully Flash Harry and Kyra ( the one baby demolition squad) are here sometime over the weekend so must do a chocolate cake ,got some mini eggs.
Will do nests with chocolate and dessicated coconut to put on top.
Must hang the pretty plastic eggs on the bushes.

My son and his wife will be here so eight of us if all at the same time ,but I don’t have seating for so many , my son usually sits on a big cushion on the floor . No idea when the youngsters are coming ,it is hard with the
children .,they are after all visiting their Nanna,and she sees them only when they get up .
Boat Race tomorrow,given the disgusting state of The Thames — sewage etc in a report this week , I am surprised it has not been cancelled.

Well things to do and so Cheerio, look after yourselves ,hope you all have a nice weekend .
Viktoria.

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 March 24 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Very heavy rain overnight and what sounded like hailstones at one point.  Our usual road to the supermarket has flooded of course, so it was a winding detour with lots of puddles for our shop this morning.  And it's cold, too! 

We will be having a big family lunch tomorrow at my daughter's house, so I'm about to start making Easter nests for folks to nibble at at some point.  My daughter frowns on anything sugary for the children, but once in a while it surely doesn't matter.  They are both slim and have good teeth.  Grandson will be 13 on Monday, but it's an easy present, as he is saving up to buy some fancy electronic gadget, so he'll just get money.  No sign of the grumpy teenager so far and we are waiting for him to start shooting up (in height, I mean!) and and speaking in a deep voice.

Happy Easter, everyone  :) 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 March 24 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Quite a lot of anger re the blue !
A radio programme where people could phone in to join a discussion was a real eye opener —- so many people thought the Cross of St. George was only connected to the England team !
Had no idea it was The English part of The Union Flag.
It was a revelation.
We were always taught that to deface The Union Flag was tantamount to treason!
That the broad white diagonal stripe must be at the top nearest the flagpole ,otherwise it was an insult !

I remember be horrified to see Prince William wearing a Union Flag waistcoat years back.

I don’t know about the broad white stripe being an insult if not next to the flag pole, it would mean the flag is upside down, therefore flying a distress signal.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 March 24 12:23 GMT (UK) »

Do hope your 'up over' weather pays attention to clocks jumping forward ... though perhaps I won't be saying that when our clocks go back an hour in NZ next weekend! Roads always busy with those making most of getting out and about over the holiday and tail end of summer.

Notification from our new medical centre with reminder that covid booster jabs and flu vaccinations available, we're not eligible for booster yet as had one mid December. It's usually April for getting the flu one done so we're both booked in for that in a couple of weeks, only just started having them myself 2 years ago but husband has for many years now. He had his first appointment with new doctor this week as had to get new script made,  quite happy with the visit and thorough and pleasant. Has been a bit of a rigmarole with all the initial requirements of details with registering both of us though rather lucky that he was accepting new patients and can book in with same doctor, which is getting harder to do everywhere!.

Cheers for a Happy Easter all  :)