Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 31st March 2024  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 31st March 2024
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 28 March 24 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Just to change the subject  folks, I went to Chelmsford Catherdral today for the chrism  service, always very nice, went by bus and it took me 2 3/4   hours, whilst there I sat next to an up and coming curate telling  her about what church I came from, after the service the woman in  front asked me was I talking about a  such and such a place, anyway to cut a long story short her forebears worshipped  at the church I attend,  she wanted to come back for a blessing for  her 50th anniversary this year, I spotted my priest and I said we should speak to him, I asked her what her surname was, would you believe  it was the same as my surname,  we were both astonished, but I knew the name as we have one of her family on a memorial, so I took her to meet my priest and they will be in touch, my 93 year old friend knew this family ,  I am going  to try to persuade her to come to our church to show her pictures of her family we have at the chuch, what a coincidence?

LM

That's amazing LM !!!
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 28 March 24 20:45 GMT (UK) »
It is isn't it, made my day but although we have a familiar surname we aren't related, well years and years maybe.
Strange thing is because they lived locally we often got phone calls for C,  *****, a son and my Dr muddled me up with B *****, a female, so we sort of knew them in a roundabout way, also her mother lived in   the same avenue as my daughter but some years ago, so many coincidences..   
I have just messaged her to have a friendly chat, hoping I can get her to come to my church to look at some info about her family

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 29 March 24 10:01 GMT (UK) »
That is interesting L.M.
What a coincidence as you say.The other person will be pleased I am sure.

Almost everywhere I go I meet someone from or very near to, the area of Manchester where I was born.
Usually a laugh about something when in the supermarket or bus or bus stop.

Then the question and so often “ Oh gosh ,yes the sweet shop on the corner “etc etc.” Do you remember——-“
Have been known to do a bit of a dance.
Down the shopping aisles when we both remembered the Monday night dances for teenagers etc a the  local
Methodist Chapel .
Met the nice young man who taught me to Quickstep .
Seventy years later !

Family coming up for Easter,Flash Harry’s that is ,son from Bolton and daughter in law fir tea on Sunday 
Slow cooked chicken and mushroom casserole ,Dauphinoise potatoes ,broccoli, green beans then chocolate cake .. Must get ice cream too in case someone does not want cake .
The children willl get money,they will have had too many eggs already.
They will have cold roast chicken ,salad and possibly oven chips ,but nice bread rolls too and another chocolate cake with little nests of mini eggs on top.They are here in Monday

Hope all have a nice weekend ,and enjoy the coincidence L.M.
Viktoria.
Must remember  get mini eggs and melting chocolate for nests .!!!

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 29 March 24 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I have emailed  the person concerned, no reply, i am impatient, she isn't a relative.

I have had to grovel for a lift to the service today as my husband wants the car,  I really don't like having  to ask, the bus to the village is every 2 hours so I can't get that,  don't even know if it is running today.

Enjoy your day today  everyone.

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 29 March 24 11:08 GMT (UK) »
The sun is shining - I can't believe it, however there are showers promised for later.  We are off for lunch at daughter's with her in-laws . I'm told it will be Moroccan chicken with couscous (and a few potatoes for my husband who doesn't like couscous.  It took me nearly 50 years to get him to eat rice!).  I have made Easter nests with Krispies and mini eggs and will take some organic wine (Everything has to be organic for her and I know she won't approve of the sugar content of the eggs).  Her step-mother-in-law is a Cordon Bleu cook and is providing the pudding, so I'm not competing, just eating.  There will be 4 children of various ages and I expect it will be rather noisy, but lovely nevertheless.  Son is working, of course.  He doesn't get much time off, but is well paid. 
Happy Easter everyone. ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 29 March 24 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Good Friday service at the local Methodist Church . They have a decent sized car park adjacent and so the service was outdoors- a bit windy but the rain held off. Probably 70 folks turned up. Local brass band provided the music.  All followed by soup and hot cross buns in the church hall.

Last evening I went to another local Methodist Church in the next village for a Maundy Thursday reflection. Only about 20 turned up but very informal sat around a table in the centre of the church. This was the first service I have been to (except the Christmas Carol) since Jane died.  Very poignant as we took communion, as the last occasion was when we had a Home Communion service together just a few days before she died.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 29 March 24 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Who did The Maundy Service for the The King?
Did not see it in the news .
I must Google it .
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 29 March 24 20:38 GMT (UK) »
That was nice Jeff you were able to celebrate Easter with fond memories of your dear wife.

Do they read "the passion"  reading  in your church?

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 29 March 24 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Who did The Maundy Service for the The King?
Did not see it in the news .
I must Google it .
Viktoria.

Camilla

BBC News - Support for Royal Family at Maundy service - BBC News
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cxez1rgndj5o
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales