Author Topic: Siegmund Gutmann BOSTON  (Read 849 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Siegmund Gutmann BOSTON
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 18:06 GMT (UK) »

Not all passenger lists were recorded at the time, so it doesn't mean he didn't arrive in the UK.
Worth trying the 1902 death certificate.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 18:12 GMT (UK) »
There's always the possibility he returned to Europe. Or he was going by the surname Goodman after 1898.

Offline Stacey.tree31

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone. I will now check out all the links you have gave me 🙂

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 07:36 GMT (UK) »
I’ve not looked at the provided links; perhaps the following has been mentioned (or, won’t match up with provided facts), but…

Mary was recorded as “Wife” on the passenger list.  Perhaps married women were recorded as wife whether or not they were married or widowed, or possibly Siegmund was still alive at the time of her sailing?

If I looked at the correct 1901 census on Ancestry, Mary was living in Edmonton, Middlesex. She was recorded as married (possibly true/not true). It was suggested that the 1902 (London) death might be for your Siegmund.  Seems a bit coincidental that Mary was living “near” the place where a Siegmund’s death was registered.

Siegmund was recorded as a commercial traveler.  Perhaps he sailed to England, or elsewhere, sometime after Edward was conceived?  My mum’s ancestor’s brother was a commercial traveler.  If I remember correctly, he left Canada for a brief time, living in the U.S., so I suppose it wasn’t unusual for men to move around.

Added: the death registration provided in the first thread stated that the registration district was Marylebone which, according to an online map, is about nine miles away from Edmonton.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Stacey.tree31

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 14:50 GMT (UK) »
I’ve not looked at the provided links; perhaps the following has been mentioned (or, won’t match up with provided facts), but…

Mary was recorded as “Wife” on the passenger list.  Perhaps married women were recorded as wife whether or not they were married or widowed, or possibly Siegmund was still alive at the time of her sailing?

If I looked at the correct 1901 census on Ancestry, Mary was living in Edmonton, Middlesex. She was recorded as married (possibly true/not true). It was suggested that the 1902 (London) death might be for your Siegmund.  Seems a bit coincidental that Mary was living “near” the place where a Siegmund’s death was registered.

Siegmund was recorded as a commercial traveler.  Perhaps he sailed to England, or elsewhere, sometime after Edward was conceived?  My mum’s ancestor’s brother was a commercial traveler.  If I remember correctly, he left Canada for a brief time, living in the U.S., so I suppose it wasn’t unusual for men to move around.

Added: the death registration provided in the first thread stated that the registration district was Marylebone which, according to an online map, is about nine miles away from Edmonton.
Thank you Lisa. I will order the 1902 death certificate and see if that brings up any more clues.
Thanks ever so much for the help

Offline Stacey.tree31

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 14:57 GMT (UK) »

Certainly looks promising on his death?

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Good Luck I wonder if the Siegmund Gutman who died in 1902 might be this person in 1901

Silgmond Gutman
Age    47  Single
Birth place    Germany
Birth place other as transcribed    GERMANY NATURALIZED BRITISH SUBJECT   -
Occupation    Commercial traveller
St Enoch Station Hotel St Enoch Square Glasgow, Blythswood, Lanarkshire

Kay

Added - sorry I missed your last post

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Yay...the death certificate! The age certainly matches. Interesting that a cousin (H Masbach) in/of Germany was the informant. Although the 1896 marriage record indicates SG was from Austria.  ???

Offline Stacey.tree31

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Good Luck I wonder if the Siegmund Gutman who died in 1902 might be this person in 1901

Silgmond Gutman
Age    47  Single
Birth place    Germany
Birth place other as transcribed    GERMANY NATURALIZED BRITISH SUBJECT   -
Occupation    Commercial traveller
St Enoch Station Hotel St Enoch Square Glasgow, Blythswood, Lanarkshire

Kay

Added - sorry I missed your last post
Thank you Kay.
Much appreciated