Author Topic: Death Certificate on FreeBMD but not Gov.UK  (Read 545 times)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Death Certificate on FreeBMD but not Gov.UK
« on: Tuesday 26 March 24 15:10 GMT (UK) »
I have been buying all of my direct ancestor's death certificates over the past few years, those of course who died after civil registration began.
Looking for Rhoda Kemp Errey (wife of Edward), b. 10 Nov 1788 (Independent Chapel, Heathfield, Sussex, baptism, daughter of James and Sarah), with Edward in Warbleton, Sussex in 1841 (as Rodah).  He is widowed by 1851 and dies in 1863.
Fortunately with her less than common first and last names, I was able to do some searches on FreeBMD and came up with Rhoda Enye dying in the right district (Hailsham) in Dec 1841.  Went to Gov.UK to see what age they assigned her, but could not find her under Enye or anything else remotely like Errey.  They won't let me search by first name only!
Would this mean the FreeBMD reference would not work?

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death Certificate on FreeBMD but not Gov.UK
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Rhoda Errye, 4q 1841, Hailsham 7 249 from GRO site, using phonetically similar variations to Errey.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Rhoda Errye, 4q 1841, Hailsham 7 249 from GRO site, using phonetically similar variations to Errey.

Thank you very much, JenB!  Didn't think of that one.

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Interesting FindMyPast shows original GRO index page with the name as Rhoda Enye between Entwistle and Epps. Also on FindMyPast transcription of burial records by Sussex Family History Group has Rhoda Errey born 1789 buried aged 52 at Cade St Independent, Heathfield, Sussex on 4th October 1841.
Regards
Jack

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Interesting FindMyPast shows original GRO index page with the name as Rhonda Enye between Entwistle and Epps. Also on FindMyPast transcription of burial records by Sussex Family History Group has Rhoda Errey born 1789 buried aged 52 at Cade St Independent, Heathfield, Sussex on 4th October 1841.
Regards
Jack

Thank you for that, Jack.  The transcribers of past and present really don't like the surname Errey (just saw one on Ancestry as Errg) and Rhoda seems to be the usual spelling but some references are quite creative.

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 15:53 GMT (UK) »
My mistake it was Rhoda. Corrected.