Author Topic: Somewhere on the Eastern Front WW2  (Read 327 times)

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Somewhere on the Eastern Front WW2
« on: Tuesday 26 March 24 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Can anyone decipher this ? I think it's a placename, could be somewhere in Ukraine or Belarus, or possibly Poland. On the back of a photo.
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline Zefiro

• RootsChat Veteran
  • breeze from the west
    • View Profile
Re: Somewhere on the Eastern Front WW2
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Baranowitza

It's a place in south Poland, I think. Now it's called otherwise. Link has German text that mentions the name.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.doew.at/cms/download/3ge1h/erfahrungsbericht_160542-1.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwitu5D-15KFAxX7T6QEHZKmCQwQFnoECBMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0n2SQLTg37u--VWLtS1-62

Today it's called Baranowice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baranowice_(%C5%BBory)

EDITED because place is not in Poland

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Zefiro

Do you think it could be this place, which had a major railway junction?  The photo is  probably granddad's Unit on a train setting off for somewhere. My grandad was a conscript in the Luftwaffe and I have another photo taken around 1941 somewhere along the Minsk Smolensk Moscow road of him having a joke with some local people! In civilian life he was a printer and he did some printing in the war for the millitary before being trained on aerial photography at Hildesheim. Apparently they had printing equipment also set up on trains.

After the beginning of World War II the control of the city was gained by the Soviet Union in 17 September 1939. After the start of Operation Barbarossa the city was seized by the Wehrmacht on June 25, 1941. It was part of Generalbezirk Weißruthenien in Reichskommissariat Ostland during German occupation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baranavichy
Bulman, DUR
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Offline Zefiro

• RootsChat Veteran
  • breeze from the west
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Zefiro

Do you think it could be this place, which had a major railway junction?  The photo is  probably granddad's Unit on a train setting off for somewhere. My grandad was a conscript in the Luftwaffe and I have another photo taken around 1941 somewhere along the Minsk Smolensk Moscow road of him having a joke with some local people! In civilian life he was a printer and he did some printing in the war for the millitary before being trained on aerial photography at Hildesheim. Apparently they had printing equipment also set up on trains.

After the beginning of World War II the control of the city was gained by the Soviet Union in 17 September 1939. After the start of Operation Barbarossa the city was seized by the Wehrmacht on June 25, 1941. It was part of Generalbezirk Weißruthenien in Reichskommissariat Ostland during German occupation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baranavichy

This is far more likely then my Polish place. If you follow the route mentionned in my first link, it's obvious the place has to be in Belarus. I should have read the document thoroughly before 'deciding' the place was somewhere in the south of Poland.
The document also mentions the railway passing through Baranowitza.

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Thought you may like to see the photos I mentioned. In the picture of the Belorussians? Opa Fritsch is on the far right hand side.
Bulman, DUR
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 March 24 06:26 GMT (UK) »
if it was Ukranian , surely it would have been written in Cryllic ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 March 24 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Garstonite
It was written by my Grandad who was a German speaking Czech. ( Though he did speak some Czech and Russian, unfortunately for me he never picked up any English :)
Bulman, DUR
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS