Author Topic: RDBMS files to Windows 11  (Read 213 times)

Offline Malcolm Bull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
RDBMS files to Windows 11
« on: Wednesday 27 March 24 10:20 GMT (UK) »
I have inherited a number of files produced on an RDBMS system.  Is there a way of converting these for use on a Windows system?
Surname interests:

Huntingdon: Bull / Shelford
Rotherham: Andrews / Steel
Easingwold: Snowball / Potter

Offline NickDub

• RootsChat Extra
  • nickduberley dot com
    • View Profile
Re: RDBMS files to Windows 11
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 11:09 GMT (UK) »
If by RDBMS you mean a relational database management system, then the answer is 'it depends'. Systems like this typically store info in separate files. For example, if it concerns people, there could be a top level file with a name and  an index number. Then a lower file which could contain addresses and  the index number field again for each record.  The two files are related by the index number. If you can identify files, then I would try importing them individually in to Excel, this may require some trial and error. If the original set up was a relatively simple one, it should be possible to extract all the info from it. The more complicated the original setup, the harder and more time-consuming it will be to  deal with.  The version of Windows you are using is mostly irrelevant.
Duberley
Worgan Gloucestershire

Online David Nicoll

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RDBMS files to Windows 11
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 May 24 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, I would say the answer is probably. But you need to be more specific. What sort of computer was the database created on? Do you have the name of the software?
As with genealogy questions, the more information you supply, the easier it is to help.
Nicoll, Small - Scotland Dennis - Lincolnshire, Baldwin - Notts. Gordon, Fletcher Deeside