Author Topic: Youlgreave/Ashford/Over Haddon/Stanton/Bakewell ancestors: Turner; Smith  (Read 135 times)

Offline IanStB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Youlgreave/Ashford/Over Haddon/Stanton/Bakewell ancestors: Turner; Smith
« on: Wednesday 27 March 24 11:33 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor Henry Turner, b 30 December 1842, Ashford, was the illegitimate son of Ann Turner. On the 1851 census he was with his grandparents at Hill Cross, Ashford. His grandparents were William Turner, b. Over Haddon, and Esther (m/s Smith) b Youlgreave/Stanton depending on the census. Ann was baptised 6 April 1823 at Youlgreave

I've looked at the usual online sources (I'm in Edinburgh) and am trying to make sense of what I have. Is there anyone out there who has encountered the same family groups or can otherwise suggest further resources to investigate?

Thanks in advance

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Youlgreave/Ashford/Over Haddon/Stanton/Bakewell ancestors: Turner; Smith
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 March 24 16:01 GMT (UK) »
What sort of information are you looking for exactly?

Information on his mother or?

He is with grandparents in 1861 but married by 1871 with a young daughter.  You may already know this.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline IanStB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 March 24 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying. If I'm honest, I'll be happy to look at anything that anyone has to offer if they have any information. I suspect that there will be detail in local records that I don't have remote access to. At some point I need to travel down to Derbyshire (and Nottingham) but at the moment I'm doing the best I can.

I have some census data and Henry's birth certificate as well as reasonable information about his grandparents William and Esther, but his mother Ann, who is my gr-gr-gr-grandmother is elusive for that time period (I have her on the 1871 census) and the name is just common enough to make sifting hit or miss.

Information about his later life and marriage is in hand, thanks.

Offline IanStB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 March 24 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Added: Since posting this request I have, by chance, found the family I'm looking for on the census and that cracked it open. In effect, the query is redundant but I would still like to hear from anyone with links to this family or has researched it.