Author Topic: Cause of death - handwriting deciphering  (Read 576 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cause of death - handwriting deciphering
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 March 24 00:50 GMT (UK) »
The other one I was looking at was Parturition and Typhoid Fever 16 days. I was not sure whether this meant that she died after giving birth of typhoid fever. Sorry it's a bit off topic!
Do you have a date of birth for the baby (assuming the wee one survived)?

So glad you brought this up!  Going from memory, Overlandermatt's post about the typhoid-ridden Selina Pope was more a debate on whether her husband was in the Royal Navy or not, as the initials RN were difficult to read.  I totally forgot about getting the registrations for baby hoping to see a clearer version of the "RN" , but by the time I got them,  the issue was resolved, and the baby's registrations didn't help with the "RN" debate

I don't think the date of Selina's death showed on the clip, however the information for the baby is as follows (Matt, if you pm me an email address, I can send the images to you):

Birth
When and where:  18 May 1876, 1 George Street
Name: ---
Father: Joseph Pennington
Mother: Selina Pennington formerly Pope
Father's occupation:  Ship's corporal, RN
Informant:  X mark of Mary Ann Pope, present at the birth
                 1 George Street, East Stonehouse

Death
When and where:  18 May 1876, 1 George Street
Name:  --- Pennington
Father:  daughter of Joseph Pennington, ship's corporal RN
Cause:  Premature, certified by L. Pearse  MD
Informant:  X mark of Mary Ann Pope, present at the death, 1 George Street, East Stonehouse

What was the date of Selina's death?  That might help figure it all out?

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 March 24 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Bbart - that is very helpful and enlightening.

Selina died on the 28th May 1876 - so 10 days after giving birth. Interestingly, her mother Mary Ann, who was present at the birth, lost her own mother during child birth. The baby survived and took her mother's name.

I've often wondered looking back through the records how many children were born and died shortly after birth or as infants that slipped through the 10 year census returns that alert us to their existence. How did you find this one out of interest?

I'll PM you as requested. Thanks again.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 March 24 09:23 GMT (UK) »
How did you find this one out of interest?

You had mentioned the year Selina died in one of your replies in the "RN query" post, so using the GRO, with the year, surname Pennington, and mother's maiden name as Pope, and trying both male and female for birth/death, both vitals appeared. 

These records I will be emailing are just the digital images, so there are no headers for the columns, but I'm sure you've seen enough to figure it out!

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 March 24 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bbart.

I must admit I did not even know premature births and deaths were recorded... Although I think there is a column for such entries on a later census?

Thank you.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 March 24 10:01 GMT (UK) »
My understanding is that as long as the baby took a few breaths on its own after birth, so not "stillborn", the baby had to be registered.  Whether or not everyone followed that rule, with so many home births, is another question!

Somewhere I read there is a record of still-borns, but I don't know if it is online, or when it started, or if it even exists.  Hopefully someone here knows more about that!

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 March 24 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Somewhere I read there is a record of still-borns, but I don't know if it is online, or when it started, or if it even exists. 

This Rootschat post by AntonyMMM will help to understand the legalities
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=879568.msg7519941#msg7519941

and according to this page, only parents of the stillborn child who are named on the registration (or a sibling of the child if they can supply death details for both parents) can apply for the record.
https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/50164/family_history_research/1558/civil_registration_records/8

Boo

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 March 24 18:22 GMT (UK) »

This Rootschat post by AntonyMMM will help to understand the legalities
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=879568.msg7519941#msg7519941

and according to this page, only parents of the stillborn child who are named on the registration (or a sibling of the child if they can supply death details for both parents) can apply for the record.
https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/50164/family_history_research/1558/civil_registration_records/8

Thanks very much for that, Boo!