Author Topic: Looking for Thomas of Houghton, Castleford. c1700  (Read 175 times)

Offline kath davis

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Thomas of Houghton, Castleford. c1700
« on: Wednesday 27 March 24 20:45 GMT (UK) »
I have Thomas Langfield born Pontefract, Yorkshire 1753.  From his baptism his father is Joseph - but I am having trouble with Joseph and his father.

I have found Joseph baptised  26 June 1731 Horbury - but he was actually Sarah - mis-transcription.

Joseph Langfield, baptized 2 Oct 1728 Horbury, father Thomas, bn 1696 Horbury.  He married twice 1718 Hartshead-cum-Clifton, 3 chn born Horbury and 1723 Castleford,  5 chn all born Horbury.  The baptisms for all the children have him as Clothier - so I have no doubts that this is a complete family.  Both wives were baptized in Horbury.

Joseph Langfield, baptized 3 Dec 1724 Castleford, his father Thomas of Houghton. I cannot find this Thomas.  Joseph married 1752 Featherstone, 2 chn baptized Castleton and then moved to Temple Hirst, where he had 5 more children baptized. He died here, and his wife appears to have returned to Featherstone, dying there 5 years later.

Searching for births 1680 to 1700, in Yorkshire, FamilySearch, FindmyPast, FreeReg and Ancestry  all give the same one result - Thomas 1696, who I have decided is not correct.

Has anyone any  more ideas - or have I missed something?
Davis - Worcestershire
Dobson - Bucks/Essex
Longfield - Yorkshire/Newcastle
Franklin - Lincs/Yorks border
Exelby - Yorkshire
Chapman - Cambridgeshire
Aitken - Fife/Lincolnshire
Harrison - Yorkshire
Palfreman - Yorkshire

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Thomas of Houghton, Castleford. c1700
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 March 24 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Locally known as Houghton near Castleford (Houghton public house is also there) is Glass-Houghton near Pontefract

Hartshead cum Clifton (Brighouse in Halifax parish ) Horbury is Wakefield quite away though to the West of Castleford

Houghton or Glass-Houghton near Castleford seems  most likely option

There is Great Houghton just off the main Pontefract to Barnsley road near Grimethorpe

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth