Author Topic: Monumental Inscriptions for St Nicholas Brighton Churchyard - GUILFORD family  (Read 426 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Monumental Inscriptions for St Nicholas Brighton Churchyard - GUILFORD family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 March 24 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Sadly, I don't think there are any Guilfords in the lists on the link I provided in Reply #7, names collected by Brighton Council way back when the gravestones were cleared.

Offline elliot

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Monumental Inscriptions for St Nicholas Brighton Churchyard - GUILFORD family
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 March 24 23:09 GMT (UK) »
KEITH,
Do you have any nearby GUILFORD families in Sussex. Sometimes mis-transcribed as GUILDFORD.
below are some of mine:

Births Dec 1874   (>99%)
Guilford    Ada Louisa        Thakeham    2b   316    
Births Jun 1877   (>99%)
Guilford    Florence Lucy        Thakeham    2b   313

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 March 24 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Right,
I have a much better mental picture of how the churchyard looks now, and the next to no possibility of finding legible GUILFORD headstone at St Nicholas.  Many thanks Little Nell and jonw65 for that vital information.  And it will therefore be to The Keep that I direct my attention from now on.
The freereg.org.uk link supplied by Emelton yielded 30 GUILFORD burials there, but at the moment I only have the bare bones of just the one male GUILFORD direct ancestor in each generation, and need to flesh out with baptismal dates to find who all the siblings were in each generation.  Before I can more precisely say whom I'm looking for with those burial entries, Little Nell.
Or to know if there are any connections to your Thakeham GUILFORDS, Elliott...
Keith