Author Topic: Dead Child included in 1911 Census  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Child included in 1911 Census
« Reply #27 on: Friday 29 March 24 15:59 GMT (UK) »
I should think that when the pdf of the birth arrives you will probably find that the alteration which caused the Occasional Copy A is that either a baptismal name was added after the register had been sent to the GRO (making her Sarah Hannah or vice versa) or they changed it from one to the other.

Even if she was officially registered as Sarah/ Sarah Hannah/ Hannah/ Hannah Sarah I know to my cost that many people registered their child with one name and then proceeded to call them by another for the rest of their lives. I have one particular branch that did that a LOT and its resulted in many  headaches over the years.

Boo

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 29 March 24 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Have you found a birth record for Hannah, 2 years, in 1911?

Free BMD has a birth for Hannah Stephens in Hartlepool Sep 1908 but I can't find her on GRO to check mothers name.

That reference is September quarter 10a 182A and is a handwritten addition to the page.

This would seem to be the ‘Occasional copy’ entry found for Sarah.
As has been suggested, perhaps named after deceased and then corrected?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 29 March 24 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Possible marriage
March 1936 Newton Abbot 5b 253
Arthur G. Chamberlain + Hannah Stephens

Death
Dec 1961 Uxbridge 5f 141
Chamberlain, Hannah   
Age 53   

Probate Calendar, 1962
Hannah Chamberlain of 640 Uxbridge Road Hayes Middlesex widow
died 16 November 1961
Administration London 12 February to Frederick James Stephens boiler maker.
Effects £8230 15s. 7d.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 29 March 24 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Funeral report for Frederick James Stephens in the Western Daily Press, 7 October 1932.
There is a less detailed one for Ellen Harriet in 1937

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 29 March 24 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Possible marriage
Arthur G. Chamberlain + Hannah Stephens

Perhaps he was Arthur Gordon Chamberlain, born 1914, Bristol
Died at sea in 1940 age 26
https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2798555/arthur-gordon-chamberlain/

An administration for him 27 Feb 1942, granted to Hannah Chamberlain, widow.

Offline Elastik

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 30 March 24 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Funeral report for Frederick James Stephens in the Western Daily Press, 7 October 1932.
There is a less detailed one for Ellen Harriet in 1937
Thanks for this, very helpful. Fans of celebrity genealogy might be interested to hear that Reuben Stephens was the father of Sir Robert Graham Stephens, the famous British actor, who was once tipped to take over from Laurence Olivier. His most famous film was "The Secret Life of Sherlock Holmes" (Dir. Billy Wilder, 1970). He had humble beginnings. But I'm looking for "Hilda Stephens", who may not even exist. We'll see.

Offline Elastik

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 30 March 24 19:23 GMT (UK) »
The "Miss H Stephens (daughter) attending the funeral in the Western Daily Press notice could be the "Hilda Stephens" my source talked about, my target. His vague recollection was that she supposedly died in the early 50s, had her funeral/wake in London, was unmarried & owned a few successful hairdressing shops. However I am starting to think that he's mistaken about the name. The "Miss H Stephens" is probably Hannah Stephens. Following Frederick James death as described in this notice his wife Ellen Harriet Stephens died in 1937 S Quarter Bristol, aged 66, Vol 06A Page 212. So neither appear in the 1939 Register. Hannah, aged 12, was living with her parents at the time of the 1921 Census at 34 Priory Road, Shirehampton so she would have been about 23 at the time of the funeral & still unmarried. I'm assuming she was registered as "Sarah Stephens" in the 1908 birth registration in Hartlepool so I'll have to wait for the certificate to turn up. There are no "Hannah Stephens" in the 1939 Register with DoB 1908.

Offline Elastik

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 30 March 24 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Possible marriage
Arthur G. Chamberlain + Hannah Stephens....
This definitely looks like a possibility doesn't it, given that probate shows the name of Frederick James Stephens who could have been the surviving brother. Can I ask how you found this marriage & what made you select it over other marriages for other Hannah Stephens?

Offline Elastik

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 31 March 24 17:44 BST (UK) »
My primary source completely rejects the "Hilda was Hannah" theory. Shame, it was looking good. He says "I don’t think Hilda ever married and left everything to her business partner, a Cypriot by the name of Marco. She hated all the Stephens crew, except my father. I met her just once when I was about seven. She had an apartment in central London, where my brother stayed for a while when he first came to London in the early 1950s." So I'm back to Square 1. I wonder if she was a child born out of wedlock to Frederick James & Ellen in Hartlepool before they moved to Bristol, or possibly by a previous relationship one of them had.