Author Topic: Immigration - health and new job  (Read 576 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration - health and new job
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 March 24 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Certainly looks like 'Travelled inland on'

Might the initials be the type of transport used ?

C.P. - Canadian Pacific (Railway)

C.N. - Canadian National (Railway)

That's what I was thinking too - and I think the other initials will be G.T. for Grand Trunk (another railway).
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 March 24 14:18 GMT (UK) »

That's what I was thinking too - and I think the other initials will be G.T. for Grand Trunk (another railway).

Agreed arthurk  :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Trunk_Railway

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 March 24 23:54 GMT (UK) »
The 2nd line of text in col 24 seems to refer to people? I might be misreading but other lines seem to say "with husband" "To Employer," "To Brother", etc.
Ah, could it be "To Cousin"??

His Canada Ocean Arrivals form states he is a pattern maker, intended occupation as checker (written very clearly).
And yes, he is indeed headed to his cousin, a Mr Joseph Fairhurst, residing at 1568 Bruce Ave., Windsor.  The address of his wife, back in England, is also recorded.
For whatever reason, they wrote over and under "to cousin" with his finger contracture problem, leading me to think they meant synovitis, not "cynosis".

Offline issi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 March 24 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Certainly looks like 'Travelled inland on'

Might the initials be the type of transport used ?

C.P. - Canadian Pacific (Railway)

C.N. - Canadian National (Railway)

Brilliant! Thank you !
HAY - Aberdeen, Shetland, etc.
LEE - Todmorden, etc.
BELSHAW - Farnworth, Bolton, Wigan, Manchester, etc.
ALLINSON - Pontefract, Leeds, etc.
UPWARD - Isle of Wight

Offline issi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 March 24 09:57 GMT (UK) »
The 2nd line of text in col 24 seems to refer to people? I might be misreading but other lines seem to say "with husband" "To Employer," "To Brother", etc.
Ah, could it be "To Cousin"??

His Canada Ocean Arrivals form states he is a pattern maker, intended occupation as checker (written very clearly).
And yes, he is indeed headed to his cousin, a Mr Joseph Fairhurst, residing at 1568 Bruce Ave., Windsor.  The address of his wife, back in England, is also recorded.
For whatever reason, they wrote over and under "to cousin" with his finger contracture problem, leading me to think they meant synovitis, not "cynosis".

Oh wow, that's great information. Where would I find his Canada Ocean Arrivals form, please? many thanks
LEE - Todmorden, etc.
UPWARD - Isle of Wight

Offline issi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 March 24 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Further to the mystery of his finger, I've found from Todmorden (Yorks) newspapers, where he grew up, that he was a (good) cricketer for Todmorden. In April 1910 it's mentioned that he's "absent due to blood poisoning", in May absent for the last three matches "unable to play due to an injured hand", and later in May that "his finger was not well enough for him to turn out" , but he was back playing in June.

Thanks everyone for your help  :)
LEE - Todmorden, etc.
UPWARD - Isle of Wight

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 March 24 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Where would I find his Canada Ocean Arrivals form, please? many thanks

They are on Ancestry searchable by name, but Library and Archives Canada has all things immigration-wise on their site, but you have to scroll through images to find them.  These links are from the Archives:

Front
https://data2.archives.ca/microform/data2/dm10/d10/006003/t-15045/pdf/30927_2000901375-05067.pdf

Back
https://data2.archives.ca/microform/data2/dm10/d10/006003/t-15045/pdf/30927_2000901375-05066.pdf

Note that he says no disability, but on the back, the immigration noted his "mutilated" finger as an identifying mark.

As you appear to have access to newspapers, if his father was Henry Uttley Greenwood of Industrial St., you will want to check out page 8 of the newspaper: Todmorden & District News 22 January 1886.  Let me know if you can't locate it!

Offline issi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 31 March 24 13:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that's very useful :-)
Ooh! Scandal!! Thanks, that's a good find! HU Greenwood was a band leader and a few of his sons played in it, including Wilfred.
thanks again
LEE - Todmorden, etc.
UPWARD - Isle of Wight