Author Topic: John Turner Baptised 1760 South Kirkby, Yorkshire (for information)  (Read 211 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
John Turner Baptised 1760 South Kirkby, Yorkshire (for information)
« on: Friday 29 March 24 07:35 GMT (UK) »
I am working on the branches of the Turner family of South Kirkby, baptised from 1760 to 1783 at South Kirkby, Yorkshire, England. The children of Thomas Turner [and Elizabeth Johnson, who married 1759].

Because Charles Turner, Blacksmith (also Whitesmith) baptised South Kirkby 1770 married Maudland Hood at Selby, Yorkshire, England, in 1794.

(Not Turver of Emsall, near South Kirkby)

John Turner Baptised, South Kirkby 1760

1796, 9th February, Hemsworth St Helen.
John Turner of this Parish, Blacksmith, married Sarah Attee (signed Sarah Atles) of this Parish, Spinster, in the Presence of Georgina Woodcock; Joshua Parkin; Joseph Skelton.

The Will of John Turner of Hemsworth (Borthwick Institute, York) written 1838 (Proved 1839) mentions "my five children".

Also mentioned in the Will are my "daughter Hannah Greenbank" and her husband Johnson Greenbank; my daughter Sarah Wilkinson; my daughter Priscilla Jones; my Grandson William Attee Jones son of the said Priscilla; my Son James Turner and my Son William Turner.

William Beckett be vested with ... to dispose of my property ... of land and houses situate in the Parish of Hemsworth ... .

John Turner's Executor (1839 Death Duty Register at TNA, Kew, also on f m p) indicated Wm Beckitt of S. Kirkby, Pontefract, Yorkshire, was John Turner's Executor,

1825 Hemsworth
William Beckitt of Darfield, Farmer, married Ann Attee at Hemsworth in the Presence of Johnson Greenbank and Priscilla Turner.

John Turner died 3rd November 1838, aged 79, at Hemsworth in 1838 (Sub-district Ackworth in the Reg'n District Pontefract). The Death Certificate says Frederick Greenbank, Grandson, was present.

1820 2nd May, at Felkirk, Yorkshire.
Johnson Greenbank of the Parish of Wakefield, married Hannah Turner, Spinster, in the Presence of Sarah Turner & William Attee.

1826 27th February, at Felkirk, Yorkshire.
William Wilkinson married Sarah Turner [Bishops Transcript, Borthwick], in the Presence of Wm Attee; Mt[?] Turner [Parish Register needs checking], Emelia Wilkinson, Geo Jessop & C.

1828 31st March, at Hemsworth,
John Lindley Jones of Wakefield married Priscilla Turner by Licence, in the Presence of John Green & Ann Jackson.

1830 William Attee Jones appears to be in the Sandal Magna Baptism Register as William Athea Jones, Son of John Lindley & Priscilla Jones, Abode Wakefield, Butcher.

Added
London Gazette Notice
At the Court-house Wakefield, 15th October 1836, at 10 O'clock.
John Lindley Jones, formerly of Wakefield, afterwards of Little Blake Street, York, and late of Wakefield, Butcher.

1841 Census, Bridge Street, Wakefield
Priscilla Jones, 35, Butcher, Y.
William Jones, 12, Y.

1851 Kirkby Common, South Kirkby.
William Beckitt, Head, Mar, 33, Farmer, born Yorks, Felkirk.
Ann Beckitt, Mother, Widow, 68, born Yorks, Hemsworth.
William Jones, Visitor, U, 22, Butcher, born Yorks, Wakefield.

1859 at Scissett, Yorkshire.
William Jones 30, Butcher, Father John Jones, Butcher, married Emma Jackson 21, Father John Jackson, Filemaker.

1861 High Bridge, Cumberworth, Eccl. District Scissett.
William Jones, Head, Mar, 32, Butcher, born Wakefield.
Emma Jones, Wife, Mar, 23, born Sheffield.
Pricilla Jones, Daur, 1, Yorks, High Bridge.
Mary A Jones, Daur, 1 Mo, Yorks, High Bridge.
Priscilla Jones, Sister, Wid, 55, born Yorkshire, Hemsworth.

John Turner Jones born 1867 (Mother nee Jackson, Certificate Not seen).

1868 31st Jan'y, Baptism of John Turner Jones, Son of William Jones and Emma, Abode Scissett, Butcher, seems to be related.

John Turner Jones, Abode Scissett, buried Scisset 4th February 1868, age 5 Months.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Turner Baptised 1760 South Kirkby, Yorkshire (for information)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 March 24 06:54 GMT (UK) »
The John Turner of Hemsworth, Will 1838/1839 (scan of original) and papers rechecked and they say Attee. Original post was amended to Attee.

William Attee Jones was buried at Scissett, Yorkshire, in 1880 as William Atty Jones.

1880 Scissett Burials
William Atty Jones, Abode Scissett, Buried July 30, 51 years.
 ----------
Added:
Inquest of William Atty Jones ... 
Emma Jones, Widow, Wakefield Road, Scissett, in Cumberworth. That he was 51 years old & a Butcher & Farmer. I was married to him 21 years ago. He was ...
My daughter Sarah ...
Priscilla Jones deced's mother who lives with us had been out ...
Sarah Jones said her sister was Mary Ann
 ----------
Beckitt Attee in The Times indexes, led to this Yorkshire 1911 newspaper ...

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer, 10th January 1911

RECENT WILLS.
Mr William Beckitt Attee (known as William Beckitt), of South Kirkby, Wakefield, left six houses at Kirkby ...

Added:
Also in the Halifax Evening Courier and

Nottingham Guardian
Probate ... granted to his cousin Mrs Emma Amelia Bowett, of Scarcliffe, Mansfield, Notts ...
 ... to his niece Ethel Beckitt (or Attee), ...
 ... his nephew Thomas William Beckitt (or Attee), ...
 ... to each of his cousins Joseph Harrison and Mary Harrison, ...
 ... to each of the children of William Jones, of Scissett, Yorkshire, ...

Also mentioned was housekeeper Mary Elizabeth Cutt if still in service ... her daughters Florence and Charlotte.

Will (and a Codicil mentioned).

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 07:56 BST (UK) »
Emma Amelia Bowett (nee Harrison)
[Census says born Carlton / Royston, Yorkshire]

Added:
1851 Births, J Qtr, Reg'n District Barnsley
Emma Amelia HARRISON, Mother Maiden Surname: ATTEE
[Baptism says Mother Caroline]

Added:
Hemsworth, Yorkshire, 1st May 1849
Joseph Harrison, Farmer, of Carlton in the Parish of Royston, Father, Joseph Harrison Dec'd,
married
Caroline Attee, full age, Spinster, Residence Hemsworth, Father, William Attee, Dec'd
Present: John Harrison; Thomas Greenbank.

Marriage
1877, 6th February at Royston, Yorkshire.
William Scorer Thomas Bowett 22, Bachelor, Farmer, Warsop (Notts), Father, Thomas Bowett, Gentleman.
Emma Amelia Harrison, 25, Spinster, Residence Carlton, Father, Joseph Harrison, Farmer.
Present: J H Bowett; Joseph Harrison; M E Harrison

Edith Harrison Bowett
Derbyshire Times, 28th November 1903.
BOWETT.—On November 23, at Scarcliffe, Chesterfield, Edith Harrison, the beloved child of the late William Scorer Thomas and Emma Amelia Bowett. Interred at Scarcliffe November 25th.

Emma Amelia Bowett of Main Street, Scarcliffe, near Chesterfield, Derbyshire, died 1929 (Probate Calendar).

Emma Amelia Bowett of Scarcliffe
Newspaper Notice says in her 78th Year.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 16:58 BST (UK) »
1825 repeated from above
1825 Hemsworth
William Beckitt of Darfield, Farmer, married Ann Attee at Hemsworth in the Presence of Johnson Greenbank and Priscilla Turner.
 ----------
1842, 27th October, Parish of Hemsworth, Yorkshire
William Beckitt Attee, Bach, Farmer, Kirkby Common, Father, William Beckitt, Farmer.
married by Licence
Marianne Attee, under age, Spinster, Hemsworth, Father, William Attee, Deceased.
Present: Rich'd Chappell; Cariline Attee

1812, Hemsworth
Thomas Parkinson, Surgeon
married
Mary Attee
Present: Wm Attee; An R/Beelhain[?] ; [3rd name faint ... ham] ; Ann Attee.

1821 21st April, St Cuthbert, Ackworth
F m p - A "checked" transcription (no image) says William Attec , but in view of the Rich'd Chappell witness present at the 1842 Marriage, a suggestion of Attee?

Originally transcribed on Anc & f m p as
Ackworth 1821, 21st April
William Attee
married
Mary Ann Chappell