Author Topic: John McIvor Strathblane  (Read 363 times)

Offline anotherhugh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McIvor Strathblane
« on: Friday 29 March 24 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Can anyone help me find out what happened to John Mcivor from Strablane?

His dad was also John McIvor and his mum Catherine nee. Kean/Carr. Both are buried in Strathblane Churchyard.

John was born in about 1854 maybe a bit earlier it changes from census to census and had a brother Hugh McIvor (my GG grandfather) who had two kids with Bridget Kerr before leaving for the USA without her and the kids.

The last census John McIvor appears on is with his dad in 1891 at their cottage "middleton cottage" or middle Mugdock cottage. His dad died in 1892, his mum had died two years before in 1890.

I would really like to find out what happened to him next but he does not appear in the next census for Strathblane.

Any ideas or pointers gratefully appreciated.

Hugh.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John McIvor Strathblane
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 March 24 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Info missing from post for searching purposes

Although living in Stirling in 1891 - John was b Glasgow & is shown as 40 - occ quarry man

John snr was b Derry - Ireland

Have you checked the English/Welsh & Irish 1901 censuses?

You will find his birth on SP - born 1846 - see Catholic births
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 March 24 20:43 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if that 1846 baptism is the correct John McIver?

In 1861 John is listed as aged 9.

The John McIver, son of John McI and Catherine Kean, in the Catholic birth records was born in 1846 and would have been 14 on the day of the 1861 census.

A five-year discrepancy in a much older person's age would be slightly unusual, but surely even the most arithmetically challenged parent would be unlikely to get a child's age wrong by such a large number?

Apart from this, there is a family in Glasgow in 1851 consisting of John McIver, 40, born Ireland; wife Catherine, 33, born Ireland; and son Hugh, 9, born Coatbridge. Hugh's age exactly matches that of Hugh, son of John McI and Catherine Kean, who was born on 18 December 1841.

However there is no sign of Hugh's younger brother John, born in 1846, who would have been 4 on the day of the 1851 census. There's also a sister Mary, born 28 April 1844; Scotland's People indexes her mother's surname as Carn but I read it as Cain on the original. She would have been 6 on census day 1851.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline anotherhugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 March 24 09:50 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if that 1846 baptism is the correct John McIver?

In 1861 John is listed as aged 9.

The John McIver, son of John McI and Catherine Kean, in the Catholic birth records was born in 1846 and would have been 14 on the day of the 1861 census.

A five-year discrepancy in a much older person's age would be slightly unusual, but surely even the most arithmetically challenged parent would be unlikely to get a child's age wrong by such a large number?

Apart from this, there is a family in Glasgow in 1851 consisting of John McIver, 40, born Ireland; wife Catherine, 33, born Ireland; and son Hugh, 9, born Coatbridge. Hugh's age exactly matches that of Hugh, son of John McI and Catherine Kean, who was born on 18 December 1841.

However there is no sign of Hugh's younger brother John, born in 1846, who would have been 4 on the day of the 1851 census. There's also a sister Mary, born 28 April 1844; Scotland's People indexes her mother's surname as Carn but I read it as Cain on the original. She would have been 6 on census day 1851.

Info missing from post for searching purposes

Although living in Stirling in 1891 - John was b Glasgow & is shown as 40 - occ quarry man

John snr was b Derry - Ireland

Have you checked the English/Welsh & Irish 1901 censuses?

You will find his birth on SP - born 1846 - see Catholic births

Thanks you! The record attached is for John, the two grandkids shown are Hughs children if that helps narrow him down!

Age wise it might be, as suggest two different people that are mixed up.

I cant seem to find the record showing "sister Mary, born 28 April 1844" can you screenshot it or tell me what to type? I have access to SP and Ancestry. Maybe i am making a silly mistake.

I had a quick look at the other countries census data but was never able to get anything solid.

Thanks
Hugh

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 March 24 10:17 GMT (UK) »
I cant seem to find the record showing "sister Mary, born 28 April 1844" can you screenshot it or tell me what to type? I have access to SP and Ancestry. Maybe i am making a silly mistake.
Mary's baptism is in the Roman Catholic records on Scotland's People. As are those of Hugh in 1842 and John in 1846.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline anotherhugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 March 24 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks. I found Mary's record.

Its a shame that they never appear together on a census.

I saw a possible Mary McIvor in poor house in Glasgow, maybe she ended up there. That dad did not die at home, but in an old mans asylum in Glasgow.

I shall keep hunting for John!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 March 24 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Given that neither Mary b 1844 nor John b 1846 was in the 1851 census with Hugh b 1841, it may be that both of them died in early childhood.

Offline anotherhugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 March 24 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Yes thanks Forfarian, or maybe this is her and not raised by a her parents? I will take a look for other Mary Mcivors born around the same time.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 March 24 23:18 GMT (UK) »
I don't know why Mary would be in the Poor House in 1871 if her parents were still living. I'd expect to find her in a least one census living with them.

However it should be possible to find out quite a lot about this Mary McIvor because she is described as a pauper. This specifically means that she was being supported by the Parochial Board. the Glasgow Poor Law/Parochial Board records have mostly survived and contain an astonishing amount of detail.

Explore https://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries/city-archives to see what they have and how to get the information.