Author Topic: John William Henry marriage 1824 ro Margaret McSeveny  (Read 464 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: John William Henry marriage 1824 ro Margaret McSeveny
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 March 24 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Image of Headstone is on Familysearch.Org;

John Henry
Principal
Find a Grave Index
Burial   Jamberoo, New South Wales, Australia
Birth  1802 
Death  18 July 1848 

Part of Inscription;
JOHN HENRY Snr
Late of
Riversdale near Kiama
A Native of Glasgow
Who Departed This Life
18th July 1848
Aged 46 years
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 March 24 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish

Yes that is him.Thank you. Interesting it says native of Glasgow. I will now go spend some money on the marriage.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 March 24 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Don't bother. I just took a look at it and as expected it sheds no new light, other than that is it definitely McLaveny, not a misindexing of McSeveny.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 March 24 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian. Just in time as fortunately I kept making mistakes (like looking in state recirds instead of church records) and had not yet got to the marriage. It was going to be a long shot anyway as I thought it might not show the name of John's father.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 March 24 09:57 GMT (UK) »
See details of baptisms of this family - all images available on Scotland's People.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 March 24 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes Marriage was a long shot.

Ship Record has him as native of County Down, Ireland and Margaret also.

Difficult one.

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 March 24 10:14 GMT (UK) »
I will go back to the marriages after I update my records with the Kirkoswald dates if births  for the children. Most briths show their mother as Margaret Savany.
It would not surprise me if McLaveny is an error by the parish clerk. There are five records with (Mc)S*v*n*y and only one with (Mc)L*v*n*y. Maybe it was the clerk in Maybole who misrecorded an L instead of an S. (This is very common - I research Sang and it's astonishing how often they turn up in parish registers as Lang - and even more often as mistranscriptions.)

SP has 711 records of McS*v*n*y and only 26 of McL*v*n*y - Could all 26 be incorrect McS*v*n*y records?

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 30 March 24 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again Forfarian

I was just about to say the only correction I have for the dates for the children is that Scotlands People have 26 Sep 1836 for William Henry.

Adamea, Edemia seems to have various spellings for her name.

I have not found the fist Agnes in Ayrshire but haven't tried all the different version of Henry.

I was typing this when Trish posted. So it didn't send.

I will just add that  the source for the letter from John William Henry written from Jamberoo in 1840 was a book with a transcript of that letter.

“The History of the Nesbitt Family sometime resident in the townland of Corglass” by Robert Nesbitt. JP. 1930. Robert was the Robert Nesbitt b c1855 who married a granddaughter of James Henry b 1798

James Henry was the oldest brother of my 3x gt grandfather Bryce Henry. Apparently James was born in Scotland in 1798 because his father Brice Henry had sent his wife Mary nee Nelson to Scotland for safety,  away from the Irish uprising of 1798. Brice himself may have been a little involved  in the uprising. The family of Mary Nelson of Garvaghy's were also from Scotland according to Robert nesbitt.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 30 March 24 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

Yes I think it is likely a mistranscription by the clerk. I have not checked yet but  from someone I must have got the information that Margaret may have been born in Scotland c 1807. A younger brother, John McSeveny was born Kirkoswald in1809