Author Topic: 1939 register  (Read 764 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 register
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 March 24 13:42 GMT (UK) »
It's the fact that her name was changed on the 1939 Register? I presumed it must have been done by Deed poll or why bother to amend the Register. More questions than answers!

My mother in law never changed her name by deed poll. She simply took on the surname of the man she was living with. The alteration in the register was dated October 1964, shortly after they moved to a new location. As Rosie has said, the alteration was quite likely initiated when she registered with a new doctor.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MJF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 March 24 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to all, you've been very helpful. :)

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 31 March 24 11:28 BST (UK) »
There is an interesting article in The London Gazette, in September 1976, about someone who changed his name by Deed Poll.

I can't show his name, because he is still living, but possibly the son who has a tree on Ancestry.

Several other trees on Ancestry, none of whom has found a marriage for Ellen.

Ellen appears on a couple of Electoral Rolls in Barnet in the 1960s, living with her mother, but no husband.

John is shown as John Bell Borthwick on two of the trees, born in Berwickshire or Co Durham in 1911.

May not be the same person, but there was a John Lesie Borthwick, mmn Bell, born in Lanchester District, but in 1905. He is on the 1911 and 1921 censuses with his parents, David and Elizabeth Ann, who married in Lanchester District in 1901.

He died in 1985 in Durham North District, having married Elsie Ramsay in 1933 in Lanchester District.

David

Offline MJF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 31 March 24 18:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you David, Yes this is the same person, (family). I have an Ancestry account so will look at the Lanchester lead, it sounds interesting.  It is John Bell Borthwick who I am trying to trace. Could you possibly give me the link to the Gazette article, I can't find it and would like to read it. Many thanks, Mandy

Offline MJF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 31 March 24 18:41 BST (UK) »
David, Sorry, I have now found the article. Thanks for your help. Mandy

Offline MJF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 April 24 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, Does anyone know the meaning of what is written on this birth certificate? Reads, Adopted ? Superintendent Register? Thanks

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 April 24 16:03 BST (UK) »
It means that person was adopted after the birth was registered.  The birth was registered by the natural mother and when the child is adopted the original birth certificate has adopted added to it but no information is given on it about the adopted parents.  This is the normal procedure
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MJF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 April 24 16:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie, The person whose certificate this is was never adopted but since the Mother was single maybe the baby was earmarked for adoption?