Author Topic: portsea dinnen family  (Read 1930 times)

Offline dinnen1800

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: portsea dinnen family
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 04 April 24 13:19 BST (UK) »
im really beginning to think its him now and if it is im eternally grateful to everyone who has helped

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 04 April 24 14:04 BST (UK) »
The enumerator's writing on the 1851 is a bit of a scrawl, so it could be closer to Dinnen than Driver.
have you looked for any other Dinnen (and similar) families in Liverpool - late 18th / early 19th centuries?  I found a Bessie, who sadly died young, baptised as d/o William and Ann in Liverpool. baptism in a Presbyterian church - which makes me think Scottish.
or he might not actually have been born in Liverpool, but moved there when very young, so thought he was.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 04 April 24 16:26 BST (UK) »
Do you have Andrews will from TNA website  :-\.    You can download it free of charge if you register for the site

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C9942694

Reference:   ADM 45/30/465
Description:   Number: 465 Andrew Dinnen, Superannuated Brass founder, who died: 14 March 1853. Notes on executor's application for money owed by the Royal Navy. Will attached.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 04 April 24 16:37 BST (UK) »
For what it’s worth, spinster sisters Ann and Caroline can be found in the 1871 census.
Living at Blackheath Road in Greenwich. Occupation: “Living upon property”.

The census image is partially obscured over their first names, but it’s them. One lady’s birthplace is Liverpool, and the other lady is from Portsmouth.

Anne Isabel Dinnen (aged 55) died on 22 Dec 1877 in Greenwich. Her sister Caroline Augusta Dinnen was the sole Executrix in the Probate record.

In Jan 1888 Caroline Dinnen (of Blackheath Road) was the subject of an Inquisition of Lunacy. This explains why she is a patient in the Peckham House Lunatic Asylum by 1901. (Apparently patient records for Peckham House have not survived).

When Caroline died in 1909 she left her money to Ellen Ann Mary Murdoch (widow). It appears Ellen A M Murdoch (born 1855) died in 1917 in Essex.

Not seeing Anne or Caroline in the 1861 census. Nor Caroline in the 1881 and 1891 census.  She might be transcribed under her initials, considering her Lunacy inquisition of 1888.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 04 April 24 17:04 BST (UK) »
The enumerator's writing on the 1851 is a bit of a scrawl, so it could be closer to Dinnen than Driver.
have you looked for any other Dinnen (and similar) families in Liverpool - late 18th / early 19th centuries?  I found a Bessie, who sadly died young, baptised as d/o William and Ann in Liverpool. baptism in a Presbyterian church - which makes me think Scottish.
or he might not actually have been born in Liverpool, but moved there when very young, so thought he was.

I had wondered about William and Ann as Andrew names two of his children with those names.
If I recall, William was a Cordwainer.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 04 April 24 17:15 BST (UK) »

Not seeing Anne or Caroline in the 1861 census.

This could be Ann & Caroline on 1861 c Piece 399 Folio   91 Page number 34

Guildford Road Greenwich Kent   
Annie Fernandez   29   Head
Anne V Fernandez   3   Daughter
Archibald Fernandez   7/12   Son
Mary Chamberlain   65   Mother
Anne Dinnen   32   Lodger Lancashire  fundholder
Caroline Dinnen   25   Sister Portsmouth
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 04 April 24 17:23 BST (UK) »
Not sure how I missed them in 1861. My excuse is I did a very brief look for them.  ;)
Guildford Road matches the addresses given in Anne's probate record.

Do we know what happened to the other sister Elizabeth? She's not mentioned in the 1867 newspaper notice regarding brother John's accident and death. Just Ann and Caroline were mentioned.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 04 April 24 17:25 BST (UK) »

I had wondered about William and Ann as Andrew names two of his children with those names.
If I recall, William was a Cordwainer.

There is also a burial in Liverpool 9th Dec 1785 for a James Dinnen son of James and Ann.  These names are also used for Andrew's children and this child may have been born around the same time as Andrew.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 04 April 24 17:36 BST (UK) »
Do we know what happened to the other sister Elizabeth? She's not mentioned in the 1867 newspaper notice regarding brother John's accident and death. Just Ann and Caroline were mentioned.

She’s on 1881 census with husband George living 7 Market Square Shropshire, George died 27 March 1882, address 7 the Square Shrewsbury
probate granted to widow Elizabeth Aldina Revous Symonds
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk