Author Topic: Cemetery - Blyth or Cowpen?  (Read 569 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cemetery - Blyth or Cowpen?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 April 24 13:50 BST (UK) »
Yes, thinking about it I have also seen plenty of those death notices with no mention of a cemetery.
Perhaps word got out literally more by word of mouth back in the day? 

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/history/gallery/how-whitley-bay-went-hamlet-21385109
As an aside, Did you know that Whitley Bay actually got it's name after an incident with a funeral mix up.  Apparently, the deceased was sent on train to Whitby instead of St Paul, Whitley.  Later people were asked via newspaper to vote on a new name for Whitley and Whitley Bay was chosen.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 April 24 14:03 BST (UK) »
Yes, thinking about it I have also seen plenty of those death notices with no mention of a cemetery.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/history/gallery/how-whitley-bay-went-hamlet-21385109
As an aside, Did you know that Whitley Bay actually got it's name after an incident with a funeral mix up.  Apparently, the deceased was sent on train to Whitby instead of St Paul, Whitley.  Later people were asked via newspaper to vote on a new name for Whitley and Whitley Bay was chosen.

Yes, I did know that about Whitley/Whitley Bay. There are a couple of display panels at Whitley Bay Metro station, with some interesting facts and photos. One of them includes the story of the funeral mix-up!

The term 'New Whitley' was also used at one time... I have some relatives who were baptised in the mid-1800s, where the Christ Church records give New Whitley as the place of abode.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 April 24 14:32 BST (UK) »

I remember in the early 1990s coming across a family document referring to a wedding at Chester. Not many records on the internet n those days but couldn't find any mention of the wedding in Chester. After throwing in a couple of wild cards in my search criteria, I found that the wedding had taken place in Chester le Street County Durham. On my next trip to the Durham Archives, a member of staff told me that I wasn't the first to be caught out with this!

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 April 24 18:10 BST (UK) »
A bit of family history…

1851  Timothy Potts  Bennett  (1830 – 1895) is a butcher at Newsham.
1861 Then segue into being the superintendent at Newsham Cemetery.  This is next to Blyth Link House – Holy Moon.
1871 He is the Cemetery Keeper at Blyth Cemetery.  This is next to Blyth Link House – Holy Moon Inn.  His son Joseph Fenwick Bennett is born at Blyth Links Cemetery the same year, per birth notice.
1881  It is listed as Cemetery Blyth next to Holy Moon Inn and before that Link House  Farm.
1891  He is a gardener in Morpeth.

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 April 24 18:37 BST (UK) »
https://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/api/collection/p16445coll4/id/319813/download

If you scroll down there are separate superintendents for Cowpen and Newsham Blyth Cemeteries.

I can’t see what year this is.

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 April 24 18:43 BST (UK) »
Might need to find them on the census images and location. I need to go to 😴.  It is 4: 14am.