Author Topic: Thomas Chettoe - 1540 to 1622 - Wem, Shropshire, England  (Read 527 times)

Online Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Chettoe - 1540 to 1622 - Wem, Shropshire, England
« Reply #27 on: Monday 08 April 24 07:02 BST (UK) »
Here is a John Chatwall, of Prese, (Prees, Salop), husbandman, a defendant for debt in Common Pleas in 1526.
Index:
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/Indices/CP40Indices/CP40no1049/CP40no1049Def.htm
Original, first entry:
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT3/H8/CP40no1049/aCP40no1049fronts/IMG_0767.htm

I wonder if this might connect with Chetwood of Worleston in the Visitation of Cheshire.
https://books.google.fi/books?hl=en&id=hlYN_LmEu8YC&redir_e;sc=y

This had Thomas Chetwood, "of Rees, Cheshire", his son Roger "of Rees", and two other sons, John and Rafe/Ralph.

I can't find Rees, Cheshire, but there is Prees, Salop, between Wem and Whitchurch and adjacent to both, so I think this is the place meant in the Visitation. There are few dates given in the Visitation, but the Common Pleas records often help locate people in time.

The people in the Visitation are presumably gentry, with a Coat of Arms. But, whatever their status later in the 16th century, they weren't necessarily gentry two or three generations earlier. Gentry status was usually defined by landholding, and a lot of land came on the market after the Dissolution of the Monasteries.

Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline TooManyJohns

• RootsChat Extra
  • Chettoe, Chetto, Cheto
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 08 April 24 10:16 BST (UK) »
Here is a John Chatwall, of Prese, (Prees, Salop), husbandman, a defendant for debt in Common Pleas in 1526.
Index:
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/Indices/CP40Indices/CP40no1049/CP40no1049Def.htm
Original, first entry:
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT3/H8/CP40no1049/aCP40no1049fronts/IMG_0767.htm

I wonder if this might connect with Chetwood of Worleston in the Visitation of Cheshire.

This had Thomas Chetwood, "of Rees, Cheshire", his son Roger "of Rees", and two other sons, John and Rafe/Ralph.

I can't find Rees, Cheshire, but there is Prees, Salop, between Wem and Whitchurch and adjacent to both, so I think this is the place meant in the Visitation. There are few dates given in the Visitation, but the Common Pleas records often help locate people in time.

The people in the Visitation are presumably gentry, with a Coat of Arms. But, whatever their status later in the 16th century, they weren't necessarily gentry two or three generations earlier. Gentry status was usually defined by landholding, and a lot of land came on the market after the Dissolution of the Monasteries.

Another great find! Now if we could link the Salopians with the Cheshire side we would have found the chetwode connection! That chitwode tree you linked before has that Rafe and John you mentioned in it!

Edit: this checks out because in the 1651 survey of Wem in The History of Wem John Chettoe had to sell all of his land and he seemed to own a sizeable amount, because he went bankrupt, so that could have been when the downfall of the Chettoes “Gentry Arc” might have been hah! So we could try to tie all those pieces together to construct that narrative.

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 17:37 BST (UK) »
Great Chatwell, Newport TF10 9BJ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Chatwell

Another option for the surname to be taken from.

Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 17:48 BST (UK) »
Another good find.

John Chatwall, of Prese, (Prees, Salop), husbandman, a defendant for debt in Common Pleas in 1526.

There is a place called Reaseheath not far from Worleston.

Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile

Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington

Offline TooManyJohns

• RootsChat Extra
  • Chettoe, Chetto, Cheto
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 18:50 BST (UK) »
One of the things I find quite interesting is that a lot of the name variations inevitably lead back to a manor of some kind Chetwode and Chatwalle in particular come to mind and these tend to make me much less confident as the evidence for direct connection to them tends to get ropey from then on.

Chatwalle after digging through quite a lot of National Archives and google books looks, makes me feel a lot less certain. Perhaps we should include here a list of names we would each be interested in trying to find the family connection to.

For me I'd have to include:

Chetwood
Chetwode
Chatwood
Chato

I have some evidence for them but the woodland connection is quite interesting, in the folder I linked to you which includes a lot of information, there is a PHD that references woodlands in England where it talks about lots of woodland areas with similar names which may muddy the waters considerably, but who knows it could also yield a lot more information.

Currently I'm trying to understand more about the "bore a great sway in this area" referencing our shared Chettoe heritage in The History of Wem, and have been trying to follow the land ownership back as far as I can and have been compiling lots of images to share here.

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 19:32 BST (UK) »
John Chettoe married Catherine Morrey on 26 Dec 1696 Hinstock.
He is the one who "bore a great sway in this area"  a gentleman, he built the maltings in Wem. Made a brankrupt 1733.

William Chettoe is his father, married to Katherine Chambre on 24 Feb 1671 Wem.
Chambre family are an interesting family in the area.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D599593
Will of Francis Chambre, Gentleman of Petton, Shropshire
Date:    14 February 1736

I think John Chettoe the Elder is mentioned in the will on page 2. Any good at transcribing old documents. Good luck TMJ.

John Chettoe was involved in the business of timber. He is mentioned in records relating to the Hills of Hawkstone. Shropshire archives link I gave will show how he is involved with the gentry of the area.

Alberbury.

Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington

Offline TooManyJohns

• RootsChat Extra
  • Chettoe, Chetto, Cheto
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 20:48 BST (UK) »
John Chettoe married Catherine Morrey on 26 Dec 1696 Hinstock.
He is the one who "bore a great sway in this area"  a gentleman, he built the maltings in Wem. Made a brankrupt 1733.

William Chettoe is his father, married to Katherine Chambre on 24 Feb 1671 Wem.
Chambre family are an interesting family in the area.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D599593
Will of Francis Chambre, Gentleman of Petton, Shropshire
Date:    14 February 1736

I think John Chettoe the Elder is mentioned in the will on page 2. Any good at transcribing old documents. Good luck TMJ.

John Chettoe was involved in the business of timber. He is mentioned in records relating to the Hills of Hawkstone. Shropshire archives link I gave will show how he is involved with the gentry of the area.

Alberbury.

Cool I have all of those on my tree I have an unbroken line from me back to 1540 and then the gap and then 1427 with the recent discovery here.

Thank you for the will link! I've been getting some help from my father with reading the more complicated documents as he has done some work at a local organisation helping preserve documents so he has a better idea so I can ask his help in deciphering it. It is often a fun puzzle that involves making a mental checklist in your head of letter patterns and then it just starts to flow naturally-ish!

I've found a back and forth over the selling of land, I've found the deeds to the wem mill and lots and lots of references to the estate and selling land.

Offline TooManyJohns

• RootsChat Extra
  • Chettoe, Chetto, Cheto
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 00:23 BST (UK) »
Following the trail of the land

The History of Wem Page: 95

The History of Wem Page: 236

The History of Wem Page: 241

The History of Wem Page: 242

The History of Wem Page: 260