Author Topic: Thomas Chettoe - 1540 to 1622 - Wem, Shropshire, England  (Read 559 times)

Offline TooManyJohns

• RootsChat Extra
  • Chettoe, Chetto, Cheto
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Chettoe - 1540 to 1622 - Wem, Shropshire, England
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 April 24 14:54 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this is significant, but there's a Thomas Cheto of Whitchurch (Salop), butcher, recorded in 1427. This is more than 100 years earlier, but less than 10 miles from Wem.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C9150613

I'm impressed by that find. That is the earliest Chettoe I have seen. He could be related to the Wem family as they are places geographically close to each other. Also more likely related than the Chatto of Scotland, or the Chetwode of Buckinghamshire.

Same here! I've tried to search around the name to find additional records but by far it is the earliest I have seen as well! I've downloaded the pdf and cleaned it up and sized it up to make it easier to read to see if I can extract more information!

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 April 24 15:00 BST (UK) »
TooManyJohns,

Could you possibly copy and paste the Personal Message I sent you of the muster for Wem and Whitchurch, on this thread. As I think it shows a connection to Chettoe's in both towns, the 100 years time frame is the best we might get.

Thanks, Alberbury.

Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline TooManyJohns

• RootsChat Extra
  • Chettoe, Chetto, Cheto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 April 24 15:04 BST (UK) »
TooManyJohns,

Could you possibly copy and paste the Personal Message I sent you of the muster for Wem and Whitchurch, on this thread. As I think it shows a connection to Chettoe's in both towns, the 100 years time frame is the best we might get.

Thanks, Alberbury.

Sure this is what you sent:
"The furthest I can get back is the 1538 muster which was a red book in Shropshire archives. The muster was the Bradford hundred held by Sir Thomas Newport for  King Henry VIII. Chettoe of Wem and Chetwood of Whitchurch. So they could be born from anytime around 1500.

https://www.shropshirearchives.org.uk/collections/search/page/2/?s=Muster+Rolls&qa%5Bkeyword_reference_type%5D=0&qa%5Btitle%5D&qa%5Bperson%5D&qa%5Bplace%5D&qa%5Bsubject%5D&qa%5Bformat%5D&qa%5Bidentifier%5D&qa%5Bdate_from%5D&qa%5Bdate_to%5D&cbav=2&cbadvsearchquery

Corrections and additions to Muster rolls of the Hundreds of Bradford, Munslow, etc. A.D. 1532-40.

Muster rolls of the Hundreds of Bradford, Munslow, etc., A.D., 1532-40."

and your photocopy of the muster in another message:

"Hi,

Found my phoyocopy of the muster.

My notes.
Book History of K.S.L.I. Green
Vol 4 Shropshire militia and volunteers
1539 Muster taken before Thomas Newport and Wm Yonge at Newport 31 March 30 Henry VIII of the one part of the hundred of Bradford, Salop 1539.

136 Prese wth hambletis.
Ric' Chetwall
Thomas Jatwall

Page 36
120 Wemme able men wthout harnesse
wylliam gryffe                  John lowsky
Ric' laurens                     nicolas wrythe
John Growme                  John hichyn
Wylliam lee                      Marys dauyd
John foxe                        william flawellyng
Roger lowskey                  Robert Witflyn
wylliam bentley                Ric' gozth
Ric beswyke                      John cowper
halyn sherot                     John hyckryn
Thomas thurbyn               Ric' stocryn
Robert sherot                   John holbroke
Roger hine                        wylliam wryth
Alin dikes                          John tayler
wyllium Cowper                 John moris
Edward watkys                  John addams
wylliam ashe                     Thomas Catstre
william farrall                    Ric' maneryng
Roger chetwall                    Thomas maneryng
humfrey Elynson                 Robert maneryng"

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 April 24 15:12 BST (UK) »
Thankyou.

Alberbury.
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline TooManyJohns

• RootsChat Extra
  • Chettoe, Chetto, Cheto
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 April 24 15:31 BST (UK) »
You’re welcome, also just discovered this blog that talks about the incident related to the national archive document.

Thankyou.

https://venablesancestry.wordpress.com/introduction/william-venables-12th-baron/

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 April 24 15:41 BST (UK) »
How widely to cast the net in terms of spelling variants? Chetwall and Chetwood have been mentioned above. Are they possible variants of Chettow?

When I search for Chetwood, the results are mostly from around Bucks, but there's one a bit closer, from Wordelston or Worleston, Cheshire, about 10 or 12 miles from Whitchurch. This is from Common Pleas:

1543 Chetwode, Roger, of Wordelston, Cheshire, gent
index
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/Indices/CP40Indices/CP40no1116Cty.htm

original, second entry:
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/aalt1/H8/CP40no1116/aCP40no1116fronts/IMG_0891.htm

Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline TooManyJohns

• RootsChat Extra
  • Chettoe, Chetto, Cheto
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 April 24 15:48 BST (UK) »
How widely to cast the net in terms of spelling variants? Chetwall and Chetwood have been mentioned above. Are they possible variants of Chettow?

When I search for Chetwood, the results are mostly from around Bucks, but there's one a bit closer, from Wordelston or Worleston, Cheshire, about 10 or 12 miles from Whitchurch. This is from Common Pleas:

1543 Chetwode, Roger, of Wordelston, Cheshire, gent
index
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/Indices/CP40Indices/CP40no1116Cty.htm

original, second entry:
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/aalt1/H8/CP40no1116/aCP40no1116fronts/IMG_0891.htm

My current research has the variations of the surname up to over 80, but this is since my research began so that are likely some I could remove now but I will list some of the most common ones now:

Chettoe
Chetto
Cheto
Cheltoe
Chettow
Chettowe
Chattoe
Chatto
Chetwood
Chettwood
Chetwode
Chettwode
Chetwude
Chittoe
Chitto
Chettall
Chetal
Chettwall
Chitwall
Chittwall

Basically every double t version has a single t variant as well and they tend to dance around the same phonetic approximations of "Chettoe" throughout time.

There's a passage in The History of Wem that made me genuinely laugh out loud when I first came across it in the early part of the surname study I've been conducting:

"It is remarkable how this family varied their surname: at first it was Chitwall, afterwards  Chetall, and at last Chettoe."

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 April 24 16:12 BST (UK) »
I suppose you've seen this? This is from the Visitation of Cheshire, for Chetwood of Worleston.

https://books.google.fi/books?redir_esc=y&id=hlYN_LmEu8YC&q=chetwood#v=snippet&q=chetwood&f=false
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline TooManyJohns

• RootsChat Extra
  • Chettoe, Chetto, Cheto
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 07 April 24 16:15 BST (UK) »
I suppose you've seen this? This is from the Visitation of Cheshire, for Chetwood of Worleston.

https://books.google.fi/books?redir_esc=y&id=hlYN_LmEu8YC&q=chetwood#v=snippet&q=chetwood&f=false

Wow no I had not seen that yet no, exciting times you're helping us push things back a decent way now!