Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 7th April 2024  (Read 1425 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 7th April 2024
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 April 24 14:26 BST (UK) »
Well, I tried to return the unfathomable board game today, that I had bought for my Grandson as an Easter gift.  It is as I thought, and I will have a fight on my hands as the lady I spoke to was most unhelpful.
The gist of it is, first off she said they do not accept returns.  I explained that they should on account that we have been unable to fathom out how to play it so therefore we have found it unfit for purpose.
She did look inside the box and said that everything is there and so there is nothing wrong with it. I said "Apart from that we can't actually play it". ::)
She even said "it has been opened".  (I thought what a ludicrous thing to say!). I said, that yes, we had opened the box with the original intention of playing  it.  She said, no one has complained before (somehow I don't know whether to believe this, my unfavourable review on a review website has gone unpublished) and that they sell a lot of these games.  I said well, everything is there, have it wrapped in cellophane again and re sell it.  It sounds like you will have no trouble re-selling it then. ::)  She said oh no, we would have to send it off and that would be too much trouble.  I said I would rather this than to be out of pocket with a game we cannot play.
I said if they do not refund me I am planning to take things further.  She said that is your prerogative.  I said, yes it is.  She said she will try to speak to someone higher on Monday and that I would have to come back next week.  I said I will come back next week.
Before I left she reiterated that there is nothing wrong with it.  I pointed out that not even my Son and DiL with 3 degrees between them, can work out the instructions.
When I go back there next week if they say again they have never had a complaint before, I will tell them that this might be because others have realised it would be useless to do so.
I am going to take it further if they continue to be unhelpful. >:(
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 April 24 15:59 BST (UK) »
Well done RTL.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 April 24 18:01 BST (UK) »
RTL - very sorry to read of the problems with the board game.  Have you, or will you, attempt to contact the manufacturers of the game and ask for their help with the problems you and the family are having?  If you have any contact information, then use it!  Good luck  :)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 April 24 18:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you - although I haven't won yet.  I might not at the end of the day but I am not going to take this lying down.
Even though my previous post was a long one I have tailored down our exchanges to what was actually said.  It all doesn't sit right with me.  She did say several times - you can play it, even though I kept saying that we couldn't.  It feels like gaslighting. 
I must admit I even tried to arouse her compassion by telling her the situation with my Grandson.  That failed miserably as she told me all the people in her family who have the same thing!!  I think she rattled off at least ten, possibly higher.  I think those odds sound ridiculous and I'm not sure I believe this either.  I think she is the type that if I had said I have walked to this shop with my wooden leg, she would probably say she was serving in the shop with her two wooden legs!
Well, if I get nowhere next week, - and I don't imagine I will - I will try trading standards and then the creator of the game. 

On a happier note, all the washing has dried in no time today and I have got all the grass cut!  That feels like a big weight off my mind now that chore is out the way for a week or two.  It is the first day this year I have been able to go outside without a coat; warm with a refreshing wind. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline MollyC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 April 24 19:00 BST (UK) »
Trading Standards will have contact with other trading standards across the country and will be able to assess whether there have been other complaints, which may carry some weight.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 April 24 19:32 BST (UK) »
Yes, that is what I think too.  I will ask them to look at it and see if they can play it straight off or indeed at all following the confusing instructions.  ??? I have never known anything like it and I have played a lot of board games - all straightforward over my life time.  It is supposedly suitable for age 8+.  No way, in my opinion.
Really, I would much rather not have to deal with all this confrontation.  But I feel that this is very unfair and I will pursue it, especially for the sake of my Grandchild, who was quite disappointed last week. :-\

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 April 24 19:40 BST (UK) »
It really bugs me when someone says 'We haven't had any other complaints '. Apart from the fact that someone has to be the first, the others who are dissatisfied are probably sitting at home chuntering about it rather than complain. I hope you get a satisfactory resolution to this RTL.

My garden is too wet to do anything and I can't currently go for a walk across the field without getting mud splashes up to my knees. Even the woods are muddy with big puddles on the path out. I'm hoping today's high winds and warm temperatures help it to dry out.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 April 24 20:18 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, this really bugs me too if I hear 'we have had no other complaints' - I think this is a lame and defensive response and not at all helpful.  Like you say, someone has to be the first. 
If it turns out that I am the first complainant;  great! I will be proud to be that one. ;)

Roobarb, I am sorry that it is still too muddy where you are to get out in the garden or go for a walk in the fields and woods.  The forecast is predicted to be quite sunny tomorrow so hopefully that might help dry the mud out. :)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 06 April 24 21:36 BST (UK) »
RTL - Have you tried searching the internet or YouTube for the game?  Some gamers post reviews or even videos about to how play games.

Failing that, ask the shop assistant to show you how to play the game.  If it's that easy it shouldn't be a problem for him/her.

I once returned an item to a shop because I couldn't figure out how to put it together.  I asked if they could do it.  I soon got a refund!
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk