Author Topic: Victoria Mills, Rutland Street, Bradford  (Read 312 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria Mills, Rutland Street, Bradford
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 15:28 BST (UK) »
No. I have looked at quite a lot of censuses. I thought I'd got him in 1851, a wool comber aged 30 in Bradford, but in 1861 he's a groom, in 1871 a labourer, in 1881 an unemployed cotton warp something-or-other illegible, and his wife is a widow in 1891, so he clearly isn't the William Black who signed the notice of dissolution of partnership in 1899.

The first William Black in the deaths index in Bradford after 1899 was 47 when he died in 1935, so too young to be the ex-partner.

I was working on the hypothesis that William Black must have been related in some way to the Rev David Black, but I have checked my own tree and I already have full death and occupation information for every William Black born between 1800 and 1880, and none of them fit. I have death records for all of them. Only six died after 1899. One was a shipping insurance man in Sunderland, one an ironfounder in Newcastle-on-Tyne, one a coalmaster in Lanarkshire, one a minister in Canada, one a Writer to the Signet in Edinburgh and the sixth one emigrated to New Zealand in 1884.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 18:04 BST (UK) »
Now that’s what I call a diaspora!
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 18:15 BST (UK) »
There are various Bradford directories up to 1936 in Findmypast.  They should list the business and also usually any individuals' private addresses, connected by an abbreviated reference to the company in brackets.  The directories would also narrow down the date when it became a limited company.

If William is not in Bradford, it is possible that one of the six put money into the wool business but was a sleeping partner.  I have found a small manufacturing business with sleeping partners including a lawyer and also a woman who was widow of one of the founders, both still had an interest when it was sold.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 18:56 BST (UK) »
Yes, possibly. But I have no way of knowing which one at the moment.

I do now know that the firm became a limited company in 1933, just a year before the death of Matthew's brother David, who was a director.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.