Author Topic: Walter Jessop of Oxford burial 11 Apr 1819  (Read 770 times)

Offline double-trouble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walter Jessop of Oxford burial 11 Apr 1819
« on: Tuesday 02 April 24 16:31 BST (UK) »
Walter Jessop ( Bachelor and Grocer ) mrd . Ann Sheard ( Spinster ) at Oxford St . Mary the Virgin on Jan 07th 1816 by licence and both shown of the parish .

I know of a daughter ( Ann ) bp . 12 Mar 1817 , Oxford St . Michael ( Northgate )
I know of a son ( William Walter ) bp . 12 Mar 1819 , Oxford St . Michael ( Northgate )

Very soon after this bp . of their son William Walter , the father ( Walter ) died with a known burial at again St . Michael ( Northgate )  on 11th April 1819 at 26 yrs .

I believe it as Northgate as Walter was working in the Cornmarket area with father in law ,   William Sheard as an apprentice in the grocers trade . The St . Michaels church from viewing maps across the last 200 years was and still is about 75yrds from the believed workplace and can find no other of this name . Previous info . suggested it was on the corner of Market Street ( which was shown as Jesus College Lane ) and the Cornmarket ( which looking at streetview and Oxford History info . site , is now the Wasabi site ) .

I am looking to visit Oxford City Centre this month and have been looking to find info . on the burial ground of the St . Michaels Northgate in the hope of a headstone in place . The church from maps found show generally small grounds and modern views show shops built around the church .

Anyone with local knowledge of the church site , headstones on site , records etc..  The Oxford History Centre could be a possibility at some stage , if not this visit . I'm also looking for info . on Ann's father William Sheard who I believed married twice ( Martha nee Walker brd . Lechlade 19 Nov 1795 and possibly Mary Cambray at Farringdon , Berks  14 Sept 1797 ) .

Some ' ifs and buts ' probably in the info . given but trying to show as much as I have in the hope of further help .

Appreciate any thoughts and info . Thankyou

Purnell - Thornbury / Leon . Stanley
Strong - Thornbury / FOD
Kirby - Bitton / Oldland
Burgess - Bedminster
George - Hotwells
Ryan - Bristol
Richards - Bristol / N . Devon
Bennett - Sodburys
Fisher - Thornbury area
Dolling - Wick / Abson
Thomas / Evans - Merthyr / Aberdare / Trecynon
Tanner - Bristol
Ablett - Thornbury area
Flook - East Bristol
Bennett - Oldbury / Thornbury
Spencer - Wilts
Blannin(g) - Bristol
Pollard - Bedminster
Johnson ( Duffield ) - Bristol ( Monmouth )

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Jessop of Oxford burial 11 Apr 1819
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 20:17 BST (UK) »
Very soon after this bp . of their son William Walter , the father ( Walter ) died with a known burial at again St . Michael ( Northgate )  on 11th April 1819 at 26 yrs .

I believe it as Northgate as Walter was working in the Cornmarket area with father in law ,   William Sheard as an apprentice in the grocers trade . The St . Michaels church from viewing maps across the last 200 years was and still is about 75yrds from the believed workplace and can find no other of this name . Previous info . suggested it was on the corner of Market Street ( which was shown as Jesus College Lane ) and the Cornmarket ( which looking at streetview and Oxford History info . site , is now the Wasabi site ) .

I am looking to visit Oxford City Centre this month and have been looking to find info . on the burial ground of the St . Michaels Northgate in the hope of a headstone in place . The church from maps found show generally small grounds and modern views show shops built around the church .

The church of St Michael at the North Gate has undergone many changes over the years, but its tower is the oldest surviving structure in Oxford. It is on Cornmarket, as you say, but a but further north at the junction with Ship Street. It can easily be seen on street view.

The churchyard seems to be very small, with only about half a dozen headstones visible, all moved to the side, and it's hard to imagine that there were ever a large number of burials there. It may be, though, that there was a separate burial ground somewhere else.

Others may be able to advise on this, otherwise it would be worth asking the Oxfordshire History Centre or the church administrator - https://smng.org.uk/ then Contact at the bottom of the page.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline double-trouble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Jessop of Oxford burial 11 April 1819
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 11:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks ArthurK..all info helps . Some great pictures of church on various sites but without the specific info . of  help..will keep looking . Apologies , advised mods it was posted in wrong place and asked if they could move , then decided to play around myself as not a tech wizz..got there in end .
Purnell - Thornbury / Leon . Stanley
Strong - Thornbury / FOD
Kirby - Bitton / Oldland
Burgess - Bedminster
George - Hotwells
Ryan - Bristol
Richards - Bristol / N . Devon
Bennett - Sodburys
Fisher - Thornbury area
Dolling - Wick / Abson
Thomas / Evans - Merthyr / Aberdare / Trecynon
Tanner - Bristol
Ablett - Thornbury area
Flook - East Bristol
Bennett - Oldbury / Thornbury
Spencer - Wilts
Blannin(g) - Bristol
Pollard - Bedminster
Johnson ( Duffield ) - Bristol ( Monmouth )