Author Topic: Mc Cabe family Rockville Street Belfast.  (Read 6761 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mc Cabe family Rockville Street Belfast.
« Reply #126 on: Saturday 13 April 24 00:16 BST (UK) »

- John James born on 3 October 1888 at 9 Blackwater Street, father James McKinley a fireman, mother Annie McKinley formerly McKinstry, information provided by Margaret Madden of 44 McDonnell Street, present at birth:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1888/02498/1926689.pdf

....and living at 9 Blackwater Street in the 1887 directory is James McKee, fireman.

Gah! 

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Saturday 13 April 24 07:18 BST (UK) »
I've been dipping in and out of this, interested to see each new find. What actually happened remains inconclusive, but there are multiple scenarios one can speculate about. At this point, in the absence of having found any marriages in the permutation of surnames arising thus far, I'm inclined to think that Annie didn't marry anyone.

Because of John James' 1888 civil birth registration and the church record of his 1915 marriage, I'm inclined to think that Annie was born a McKinstry.  But as to what ensued, I think one can't rule out some measure of fabrication on her part. On face value, she may have had relationships with a John/James McKinley, with a James McKee and a James McCabe, producing three children out of wedlock from one or more of those relationships.  In another scenario, John/James McKinley and Annie's use of that surname may be a fabrication for her births from 1886-1891, a cover story for her relationship with McKee or McCabe, names which endure down the line (which McKinley doesn't). In another scenario, James McKee may be one and the same person as James McCabe. This has proven to be a VERY interesting topic and Annie is something of an enigma.     

Offline Gerry Burroughs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Saturday 13 April 24 09:14 BST (UK) »
Jack Mc Cabe appears to be a very elusive character lol I see he is a farmer in the service record from Monaghan?? but may have connections with Fermanagh?? My daughters husbands family have connections in Fermanagh there for many years. I will ask her on the chance that her in-laws might know something.
History. Militaria.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Saturday 13 April 24 09:24 BST (UK) »
It is all very confusing and each new bit of information seems to almost clear things up yet throw up more questions!

I can't remember Fermanagh being mentioned before- have I forgotten or missed something?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gerry Burroughs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Saturday 13 April 24 09:47 BST (UK) »
At the top of his RIC record it has Monaghan and underneath Fermanagh. I asked Jim about this and he said the first is entry is his Native County and the second is where either one of his parents or family members have connections. It can also mean the county he was enlisted from which is his case because the DI was stationed in Enniskilling.
History. Militaria.

Offline Gerry Burroughs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Saturday 13 April 24 09:51 BST (UK) »
Jim has just come back to me . He states the Mc Cabe would have to be known personally by the DI and in this case he is definitely from Inniskilling ????
History. Militaria.

Offline Gerry Burroughs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Saturday 13 April 24 09:57 BST (UK) »
The second county listed can also mean the county from where he enlisted as was his case because the recommending person was a DI stationed in Enniskillen & had to be personally known to him. He is definitely from the Enniskillen area.
History. Militaria.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Saturday 13 April 24 12:18 BST (UK) »
Not sure if someone has already posted this, but the Roden Street Barracks census return in 1901 shows the birth place of a 41 year old unmarried Catholic constable 'J M' - possibly the same chap as the James McCabe who died in 1902 - as Co. Fermanagh:

https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000307133/

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Saturday 13 April 24 12:24 BST (UK) »
Another good find. I had originally searched for him in barracks with birthplace as Monaghan since Fermanagh hadn't been mentioned at that point. Interestingly clipping mentioned burial in Monaghan.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!