Author Topic: Mc Cabe family Rockville Street Belfast.  (Read 5910 times)

Offline Gerry Burroughs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mc Cabe family Rockville Street Belfast.
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 04 April 24 21:36 BST (UK) »
My grandad met my granny when he was posted to Belfast, they had 2 children and then he was posted to Caherisveen where another 6 children were born which included my mum. He was born in Kilbaha where his family had a farm. He is mentioned in a book called Beleaguered and his pension is quoted in the book. I think he had 27 yrs service. Certainly had a difficult time up to his disbandment in 1922. My wife was saying if it is possible to get details on on Annie Mc Kee it might unlock more details on Mc Cabe.
History. Militaria.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 04 April 24 23:03 BST (UK) »
That 1901 census return at reply #21 indicates that Annie McKee and family were in the 44th house enumerated in Burnaby Street, which doesn't automatically read across to street number, but when you look at the names in the other households enumerated in that street, there seems to be some measure of correlation between them and the names against street numbers in the 1901 Belfast street directory. With that in mind, note the following listing under Burnaby Street in the 1901 directory: 44. McKee, James, sailor

Burnaby Street intersected with Roden Street, so I wondered about the following death of a 44 year old bachelor called James McCabe in 1902, he was an R.I.C. constable and died in the workhouse (presumably infirmary), but was described as being 'from Roden St.', which I'm thinking might simply mean c/o the police barracks in that street:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1902/05689/4603510.pdf

I know this is speculative stuff, but it's starting to look like we also need to think outside the convention of a marriage and children born within wedlock.

Offline Gerry Burroughs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 04 April 24 23:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information it really is difficult to see what is happening in that family. A James Mc Cabe RIC is mentioned as the father of John Mc Cabe during his marriage to Mc Grath in 1915 ?? Same person who died 1902 ??
History. Militaria.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 04 April 24 23:22 BST (UK) »
Regarding Gaffy's post of the 1902 death of the RIC McCabe, there is this clip that states he MIGHT have had a family.
 ???
From the The Constabulary Gazette  13 September 1902

Offline Gerry Burroughs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 05 April 24 07:46 BST (UK) »
My goodness so he was married! Why wouldn’t this have been generally known??? Other information is recording him as a bachelor?? Amazing information thank you.
History. Militaria.

Offline Gerry Burroughs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 05 April 24 08:42 BST (UK) »
Wonder if there really is a connection with one or more of the Mc Kee children???
History. Militaria.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 05 April 24 08:53 BST (UK) »
If these people are all connected, which certainly is a strong possibility, the problem is one or both were married to someone else, preventing them from marrying each other, and using the right names.

More digging is required!

Offline Gerry Burroughs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 05 April 24 08:57 BST (UK) »
Brilliant thank you. My wife and I are totally fascinated now. Many thanks everyone for your help.
History. Militaria.

Offline Gerry Burroughs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 05 April 24 11:05 BST (UK) »
Could there be a marriage certificate for Annie Mc Kee and James Mc Cable ?? My wife’s question!!  Thank you .
History. Militaria.