Author Topic: Thomas Bee  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Bee
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 06 April 24 01:20 BST (UK) »
I don't know who Thomas's parents are just that his family is from Scotland.

How do you know that? You don't know who is family were.

There a number of Thomas Bee birth registrations in England.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Caitpaige24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 06 April 24 01:29 BST (UK) »
I don't know who Thomas's parents are just that his family is from Scotland.

How do you know that? You don't know who is family were.

There a number of Thomas Bee birth registrations in England.

It's what my aunt and dad said when they asked me to look into it. They mentioned that their mum (Mrtyle) used to say that her dad's (Thomas) family was from Scotland.

Im hoping when I get hold of Thomas' and Dorothy's marriage certificate it will have his dad's name on it and will clear some things up.

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 06 April 24 09:11 BST (UK) »
A possible.

A Thomas Bee was born 9.12.1900 (illegitimate) to Thomas Bee(general labourer) & Margaret Ford( laundress) in Canongate, Edinburgh. Thomas & Margaret marry the following year 1901 Canongate.

1901 census.

Thomas Bee   37   Head Lodger (Head)
Maggie Bee 32
Wife Lodger (Lodger)
Thomas Bee 4 Mo Son Lodger (Lodger)

Possibly 3 other Bee/Ford births between 1902-10

Believe by 1911 scottish census he's in East lothian,not sue who's with him though, his parents are with 2 other children,1921 census appears by himself.

SS

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 06 April 24 09:12 BST (UK) »
I don't know if I'm not following along or if I've confused you.
You are not following me.

Thomas Bee is the dad of Mrtyle Bee-My gran(born 1930 and becoming Mrtyle Parratt when married).
I don't know who Thomas's parents are just that his family is from Scotland. Thomas then moved to Surrey Married a Dorothy 1925 where they had 5 children.
I'm assuming Thomas would have been born in 1890-1900 possibly,
Yes, I have read and understand all that from your earlier posts. You will have seen that I found the marriage reference and the birth references of all five children for you.

You are, however, assuming that his birth surname is Bee.

There are two births of Thomas Bees in Scotland between 1890 and 1900. One was born in Edinburgh St Giles in 1892 and died in 1893, so he can be eliminated.

The other was born in 1900 in Edinburgh Canongate. I see that softly softly has looked into this one for you.

So I wondered, what if his birth surname is not Bee?

There are no records in Scotland of a Myrtle Bee who could have been Thomas' mother. Myrtle is a very unusual name so I started from the assumption that the given names and your estimate of Thomas' date of birth were correct, and looked for a household with an adult Myrtle and a child name Thomas. The rest follows from that.

I fullly realise that for this to be your Thomas Bee requires him to have changed his surname at some point, and that unless someone can find some evidence why he would have done that and why he chose Bee, my thoughts remain speculation, as I said at the start of that post.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 April 24 09:33 BST (UK) »
Here's something curious.

Thomas Cheyne Bee, aged 60, died in Dalkeith in 1957. If his age is correct he was born 1896/1897 but there is no birth of a Thomas Cheyne Bee at any time, and there is no birth of a Thomas Bee in 1896/1897.

However there is a birth in Dalkeith as Thomas Bee Cheyne in 1897, mmn not in the births index, which might imply that he was illegitimate.

Reply #5 above lists members of the household of Thomas Bee and Margaret Cheyne in Dalkeith in 1901
Thomas Bee 44 Brewers Cellarman
Margaret C Bee 22 daughter
Mary C Bee 15 daughter
Hugh C Bee 11 son
Agnes C Bee 7 daughter

But there are two more members of the household not listed in that post
Thomas B Cheyne 3, grandson
Robert Cheyne, 20, nephew

So if you abandon the idea that your Thomas Bee's mother's given name was Myrtle, and that his middle name was Andrew, Thomas Bee Cheyne, later known as Thomas Cheyne Bee, could be your elusive Thomas Bee.

However ....

There's a 23-year-old Thomas Bee in Dalkeith in the 1921 census, and there's a Mary Bee, 19, in the same household. Thomas Bee married Mary Reid in Edinburgh in 1920. Mary Haldane Reid, other surname Bee, died in Edinburgh in 1938, aged 36, and there are 9 births of Bees with mmn Reid in Dalkeith between 1923 and 1936. So if this is Thomas Bee Cheyne, he's rather too busy in Dalkeith to have married Dorothy Rouse in Farnham 1925 and fathered 5 children with her there between 1923 and 1938.

Inconveniently, however, Thomas Bee Cheyne married Isobel Dalgetty in Edinburgh in 1915. I have not found a record of the death of Is*bel* Dalg*t* with other surname either Bee or Cheyne, or any record of children of this marriage.

You would need to look at both marriage certificates to see who the grooms were.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 April 24 11:20 BST (UK) »
Forfarian,re #1 you may wish to modify Mertyl's dob to 1930 from 1920

SS

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 06 April 24 12:05 BST (UK) »
Info only.

It would appear that Electoral registers record in 1938 Thomas & Dorothy together at Gorsefield Cottages. Dorothy by herself at this address in 1939 with children, married.

1945 Dorothy still at this address.

1946 Dorothy at 12 Pharos Cottages, Upper Hale, Farnham.

1950-1962 Dorothy at 25, Ridgeway Hill Road

1960 register also shows at this address, Donald Bee, Harold V Parratt, Charles P Salter & Lena Salter. Lena Bee married Charles Salter 1957.

So in conclusion has Thomas left the family home from 1938 or died possibly in ww2?

SS

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 06 April 24 12:27 BST (UK) »
Forfarian,re #1 you may wish to modify Mertyl's dob to 1930 from 1920
SS
Ah yes. Slip of the finger. Now corrected, thank you.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 06 April 24 13:27 BST (UK) »
There are no records in Scotland of a Myrtle Bee who could have been Thomas' mother. Myrtle is a very unusual name so I started from the assumption that the given names and your estimate of Thomas' date of birth were correct, and looked for a household with an adult Myrtle and a child name Thomas. The rest follows from that.

So if you abandon the idea that your Thomas Bee's mother's given name was Myrtle

Caitlin didn't say that Thomas' mother was Myrtle.  Myrtle is Caitlin's paternal grandmother and Myrtle's father was the Thomas BEE in the subject line.

I'm researching my Dad's side of the family.
His mother was Mrtyle Bee. Her Father was Thomas Bee.

Debra  :)