Author Topic: Where to look for those who are English but the child possibly born in France.  (Read 2037 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where to look for those who are English but the child possibly born in France.
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 14:46 BST (UK) »
A little story - some fact - some fiction / supposition

Once upon a time in the little village of Upavon, Wiltshire, Richard Maslin was born in approx 1737 (from age at death), he met Jane Offer from nearby Enford and they married on 15 Oct 1764 in Enford.
They had three children in Upavon
John bapt 23 June 1765
Elizabeth bapt 1767
Richard bapt 1769

Richard snr was buried in Upavon in 1814, Jane was buried in Upavon in 1828 (age at death gives birth year of 1740)

The three children decided to go to London to make their fortune, but not before Elizabeth had a relationship with a man (possibly Richard Mortimer the local butcher - how else to get the best cuts of meat) which resulted in the birth of her daughter Sarah in 1790 in Upavon.

In London John married Elizabeth in 1798 (possibly Sealy or Muntt - prefer the latter due to location) They had several children Jane 1799, Elizabeth 1803, Richard 1810, (possibly Elizabeth and Joseph later).

Jane lives with a George Evett eventually marrying him in Feb 1838 about 3 weeks before their daughter Amelia is born. Amelia has 3 older sisters / half sisters who all add the surname Evett to Maslen - Jane b 1820/1 (marries James Payne), Louisa Elizabeth b 1824ish (marries John Perry), Sarah b 27 Oct 1831 (marries George Henry Eggleton.

Elizabeth (1803) is the problem as I did find a burial in the right parish on 20 Mar 1806 , two months after Elizabeth was baptised (although born in 1803). There is however another Elizabeth baptised in 1813 in Stepney and a Joseph in 1815 (listed in both Stepney and Whitechapel) children of a John / Elizabeth couple. Did the later Elizabeth become Mrs Fawkes? (Perhaps some guy can solve that one).
Richard (1810) appears to be buried in 1832  - don't think he married
Joseph (1815) ( if he part of the family) marries a Sarah and becomes a blacksmith / farrier (father John is blacksmith on baptism record)

Richard (1769 Upavon) married Jane Eades eventually in 1823 in Bethnal Green after a failed attempt three years earlier in Whitechapel. They were witnesses at Sarah (1790, Elizabeth's illeg daughter) first marriage to Richard Sissons in Rotherhithe. Jane signing herself Maslin even though she was still an Eades.
Can't find any children for this Richard and Jane or definitely what happened to them after 1823.

Elizabeth (1767) was buried in Upavon although residence was Rotherhithe

And Sarah (1790) - known affectionately in the family as Aunt Sarah - we know all about her. Did she help her two rich husbands on their way? We shall never know.

to be continued ......

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where to look for those who are English but the child possibly born in France.
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 14:54 BST (UK) »
...but not before Elizabeth had a relationship with a man (possibly Richard Mortimer the local butcher - how else to get the best cuts of meat)

;D ;D  As the saying goes...."catch-as-catch-can". 

Lizzie - see my Reply #53 for details on Elizabeth Fawkes/Stacey (nee Maslin).

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 14:57 BST (UK) »
Aunt Sarah - we know all about her. Did she help her two rich husbands on their way?

Reminds me of the opening credits to "Hart to Hart" -- "when they met, it was murdah!"  :P

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 15:12 BST (UK) »
New theory:

The burial in St James Westminster on 20 Mar 1806 might be John's wife Elizabeth (now I see an image, the record doesn't give age but there is W, M or C after each name, which I assume must be woman, man or child, rather than widowed and married as there are no S's for single). The burial for Richard in St James puzzled me as it gave birth year of 1806, but if he was born in 1806 and Elizabeth died shortly after childbirth it would fit. So Elizabeth 1803 survives to become Mrs Fawkes. Richard eventually gets baptised in 1810 in Lambeth - the family have form for late baptisms.

Elizabeth (1813) and Joseph (1815) are a different family.
I have found at least two other John /Elizabeth Maslin couples. One pair married in Berkshire and had a child in Kensington. Another pair settled in Deptford, that John also came from Wiltshire.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Miggs191

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi all !
I am totally blown away by this research ! Completely understand the “possible” links in all this but it makes so much sense.
Upavon was where my late Aunt thought Sarah may have been born as the illegitimate daughter of an Elizabeth!
To say I’m excited by all of your efforts and everything you have all done is putting it mildly !
I just want to phone my Dad and Aunt to tell them but of course they have already died.
I am so sorry that I can’t thank you all personally….you have no idea how much this means to me.
As a child I was brought up thinking everyone did genealogy and I’d picked up so much info along the way. Then I started working with my Dad and Aunt and looking things up for them eg National Archives online. My study is full of our research. To complicate matters the John Perry that Louisa Elizabeth marries inherited a huge amount of money,shares,land and property in around 1870.
That was one of the reasons the reasearch began. Where and why had all the money gone ?
Don’t worry….i know a
L the answers to that part of the story !
I really love the explanation that is fact and fiction because that is how we solved the later part.
Begin with facts with evidence, look for strong possibilities to either include or exclude ( with evidence) and continue checking every bit. And then of course going back to check again as new info is released and is on line or has access.
I am so grateful. Thank you for such wonderful research. Now to get my brain up a gear or two and set to work !!! ✨🌟✨

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 15:19 BST (UK) »
Miggs191 - do you have your Maslin research entered on family trees, such as Ancestry or FindMyPast? Or is it all in paper files, waiting for a proper (online) family tree to be created?

Have you used or currently use Ancestry, FindMyPast, and Family Search for research?

Offline Miggs191

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 15:33 BST (UK) »
About 100 paper files of Maslin,Perry of Devizes. Banks of Potterne, Lacock and Enfield.
I’m on Ancestry,Find my Past,Genes reunite and Heritage. There are bits of more recent family on some of these. I’m not brilliant at adding info so find there may be two sisters who are the same person and I can’t get rid of it !!! Not very computer literate. I was a teacher until retirement and my seven year olds would teach me ICT !!!
I’m also half Irish and that’s on paper and also on line in parts. That is all my own research going back to 1800 which is pretty good for Ireland. I’m currently working on linking my grandparent’s land ownership to a document found in the 1800’s Bowood House near Lacock . Which will be an amazing coincidence to have my Irish family linked to my English family back in the 1600 s!
That’s not on line as it’s investigative at the moment.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 15:43 BST (UK) »
Are we calling this thread "Completed" then?  ???  Your original question was regarding a birth/baptism for Louisa Elizabeth Maslin. As far as I can tell, the Evett's never got round to baptising Jane or LE (having done "late baptisms" in 1843 for their younger children).

Offline Miggs191

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 16:09 BST (UK) »
At the moment I think it’s a resounding YES !
I know everything about Louisa from the age of thirteen. I now have evidence to link the other Maslin’s together.
When you mention christenings ,I’ve a feeling that that Amelia and Sarah were baptised but later.
I do know that Louisa’s step children ( from a relation ship her husband John had,don’t ask !!!) were christened at least twice as children and then as adults so there is a bit of a pattern in that bit of the family.
Many thanks again. I’ll now need to get it all down on paper ! Or computer !✨🌟✨