Author Topic: Ancestry - merging my trees?  (Read 496 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Ancestry - merging my trees?
« on: Friday 05 April 24 02:18 BST (UK) »
I believe I’ve read that trees on Ancestry cannot be merged.  Until I purchase genealogy software, I will continue to use Ancestry for my trees.

I started a few trees a few years ago (for four of my branches, and for OH’s branches).  A couple of years ago, for various reasons, I started new trees for these branches.  I would now like to combine the two Stuart trees with each other, the two Mumford trees with each other, etc. without losing any details and more importantly, without creating duplicate folks.  If we cannot merge trees, might there be a way to gather facts without taking hours to compare, for example, the two Stuart trees with each other?  Thank you for any guidance.  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry - merging my trees?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 April 24 09:17 BST (UK) »
As far as I know there is no easy way to achieve what you describe. Other than as you say using family tree software on a computer.

Is it time to buy your new computer?

Martin

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 April 24 10:07 BST (UK) »
Software, it cannot presently be done within Ancestry.

I use Roots Magic.

I start a new project and for the source I select my Ancestry tree (not a Gedcom) and then let Roots Magic download all the people and all the associated Media.

When this is complete I save a Backup+Media from within the software.

Next it is Error Checking, using the Tools to check each element.

Then go into the Database tools and perform each check.

Again Backup+Media.

Now you have an error free Family Tree.

Repeat the above with each Family Tree.

When finished open the main Family Tree and open in another Window the tree you want to combine.

Drag and drop one into the other.

Perform the Error Checks, Database checks and save a Backup+Media

Repeat with each tree.

Use the Tree Share within Roots Magic to upload the changes to the “new” Main Family Tree

Job done

Sorry, its a long process but there is no easy way and it is quite a learning process to know the ins and outs of Roots Magic, I would start by watching their “Getting Started” video tutorial its about an hour long.

Other software may have different processes.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 April 24 18:38 BST (UK) »
Yes, Martin, it is high time that I finally decide which electronic device to purchase.  ;) I’ve mainly put it off because I sit in our living room using my mini iPad late into the night, when all is quiet and there are no distractions.  Something larger would be difficult to hold for an extended period of time and would be in the way of our snuggling cat.  ;D

Perhaps we can afford a new iPad and a larger device.  I will check into it.  Thank you for the unintentional slight nudge to get me motivated.  ;)  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 April 24 18:45 BST (UK) »
Biggles50, thank you very much for providing the thorough instructions.  I took a screen shot for future reference.  I’m a bit wary of Roots Magic but perhaps our older son can help me with it.

Thank you again; you and Martin have motivated me.