Author Topic: Possible to Attach DNA result to Multiple Trees on Anc*stry?  (Read 459 times)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Possible to Attach DNA result to Multiple Trees on Anc*stry?
« on: Sunday 07 April 24 05:14 BST (UK) »
I control DNA tests for several persons who appear in more than one family tree on Anc*stry. 
Right now, the DNA tests are only attached to their profiles in one tree. So today, I thought I would add the DNA links to other trees also.
When I did so, it seemed to delete the DNA links from the first tree. So, can DNA results/tests only be linked to single trees?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: Possible to Attach DNA result to Multiple Trees on Anc*stry?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 April 24 07:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I think you can only  link the dna test  to one  tree, and not have multiple  trees linked to the same  DNA  test (s)
(The test I manage, besides my own is linked to a tree on my account and not  linked to  any trees on their own account)

I found this  below on ancestry   help pages which seems to confirm it.
Kind regards

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 April 24 02:07 BST (UK) »
Not the answer I was hoping for - was hoping that there was some sort of work around.
Why limit to one tree, when same person can be in several?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 April 24 09:31 BST (UK) »
Presumably because of the duplication of dna matches.  Remember these are matches with you so the same ones will appear.

If you think that you might get different thrulines by having dna attached to a different tree, then try out your hypotheses by adding different people to your current dna tree.  It takes about 24 hours for thrulines to catch up and change if necessary.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 April 24 18:55 BST (UK) »
Presumably because of the duplication of dna matches.  Remember these are matches with you so the same ones will appear.

Pheno

Actually, not matches with me. Tests of relatives that could appear equally in several trees.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 April 24 19:36 BST (UK) »
But the principle is the same, Ancestry is only going to find the same dna matches to anyone whose dna is already in your tree, apart from any new matches which come through occasionally.

Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 April 24 21:20 BST (UK) »
But the principle is the same, Ancestry is only going to find the same dna matches to anyone whose dna is already in your tree, apart from any new matches which come through occasionally.

Pheno

But that is the whole point - yes, the same matches. Matches that are equally relevant to other trees containing the same people.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 09:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry I don't understand this at all - you simply want Ancestry to duplicate all dna matches for the people whose dna you manage cos they are in different trees?  So you could get the same results 2 or 3 times over?

I rather think you are getting muddled with matches and thrulines!

Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 15:23 BST (UK) »
Sorry I don't understand this at all - you simply want Ancestry to duplicate all dna matches for the people whose dna you manage cos they are in different trees?  So you could get the same results 2 or 3 times over?

I rather think you are getting muddled with matches and thrulines!

Pheno

What "duplication" of DNA matches? Those results already exist and are done per person, not per tree. The persons are the same persons.
The different trees the people are in are near identical.