Author Topic: Two strange occurrences. Has anybody else come across this?.  (Read 1540 times)

Offline aukington

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Two strange occurrences. Has anybody else come across this?.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 April 24 14:46 BST (UK) »
I have a man recorded in 1881 in Sheffield with his wife and family, as "patternmaker (unemployed)".  He also appears in a lodging house in Erith, Kent as "patternmaker from wks" with several other skilled workmen also "from wks".

He had taken a job at the Woolwich Arsenal, this error usefully shows when he started there and we know the family followed and remained there.

Thank you for this information MollyC and it would have been sufficient to answer my question had I not made a mistake. Because the surname of the lady I was looking for is very common and she was living in a big city it turns out that they were different people!.

Offline aukington

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Two strange occurrences. Has anybody else come across this?.
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 April 24 14:57 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was listed twice on one census- once at home with her parents and once with her grandparents. Her cousin appeared three times in the next census- 1) at home, 2) with relatives, 3) new address where he moved at the time the census was taken.

Thank you for your response aghadowey. This information would have helped if I had not misinterpreted census and marriage information to the point of thinking two or even three individuals was one person. But your reply is much appreciated.