Author Topic: Marriage Record Comments  (Read 196 times)

Offline HistoryMissionKN

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage Record Comments
« on: Sunday 07 April 24 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I’ve found a marriage record for my great great grandparents but am having trouble with what is written in the Comments section. I feel as though I have pieces, but it isn’t making sense altogether without other parts. I was wondering if anyone is able to translate it (or any part of it). I believe it related to possible military service, but could be completely wrong. This is from the Slovakia Church Records. I’ve also included the next page in the record in case it’s easier to read any of the repeated words. (I hope they post/attach correctly- I had trouble getting them to a file size I could upload)

Thank you so much for any help anyone can provide!

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Record Comments
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 April 24 23:14 BST (UK) »
From my understanding, by picking out words that are similar from the Latin (used in RC church) the comments are about a dispensation being given for two people to marry who may be related to each other in some way.

Consanguity - of the blood
Consanguinity (from Latin consanguinitas 'blood relationship') is the characteristic of having a kinship with a relative who is descended from a common ancestor.

Then you have a table showing showing who might be in these definition - that is called a degree. So we have degrees of consanuinity. In these case a special dispensation may have to be sought and depending on how close the relationship the person who could could give a dispensation  in the RC church who could give give rises accordingly.

https://www.uab.edu/humanresources/home/images/M_images/Relations/PDFS/FAMILY%20MEMBER%20CHART.pdf

King Henry V111 had several 'skirmishes' over marriage and permission from the Pope was denied thus triggering the schism.

Now from what I see
a dispensation was given
for a relationship to the 4 degree (superscript O) for one
and to the 3rd degree for the other.

A third degree kinship relationship is a first cousin, great-grandparent, great-aunt, great-uncle, great-niece, great-nephew, great-grandchild, half-aunt, or half-uncle.

A fourth degree kinship relationship is a brother, sister, uncle, aunt, first cousin, grandparent, great grandparent, great aunt, great uncle, great-great grandparent, niece, nephew, grandniece, grandnephew, or a stepparent.

I cannot read the handwriting but others will be able to.