Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 14th April 2024  (Read 7996 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 14th April 2024
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 April 24 16:37 BST (UK) »
Actually, on second thoughts, I think it will probably not be a good idea to copy them in to the complaint to Trading Standards.  Better not to forewarn them.  8) If so, they might arrange intense game training for everyone in their shops with the goal of being able to convince Trading Standards that my family and I come from the clan of McThickie!  I wouldn't put it past them.  :(

Added:  Your post crossed with mine Roobarb.  I agree with you that it is not fit for purpose.
I can't tell you how entertaining it was this morning to stand there like Ms McThickie, appealing for them to show me how to do it.  I almost cracked up when they conceded defeat. ;D ;D ;D  I do respect them though that they demonstrated integrity by completely siding with me after this.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 09:29 BST (UK) »
Well done for getting so far !
My Mother in law bought me, well our son a push chair as he was one and I could take it on buses etc if I needed to go to Manchester for shopping etc,he was walking at eleven months but got tired of course .
It was lovely but all a sort of plastic so when it rained the water ran off the “ apron “ which covered his legs and ran on to my feet filling my shoes.
I went back to the shop - they seemed not to understand what I was saying so I asked for a glass of water , we went outside , asked the assistant to stand where I would when pushing it,and gently poured the water on the apron ,and yes it ran on to his shoes.
He agreed it was a design fault given the material it was covered with.
I needed one immediately so he reduced a Silver Cross one to the price of the faulty one on the basis the Silver Cross was dark bottle green ,and many people had superstitions about that colour and the prams and pushchairs were not selling,so he could reduce one to replace at no cost to me the one grandma had bought .
I was delighted, not bothered about the green.It was a quality item.
Well it served my two boys then my sister in law’s toddlers.

The broken record  or stuck needle ploy is good too, just keep saying the same thing over and over again,” The instructions are useless, the instructions are useless” ————-
Best of luck with it .

Someone has put a big grey bag of rubbish in my bin!
It has split revealing toys ,paper ,plastic etc —- not sorted so my bin won’t
get emptied now.
I know who it is and to be fair I have said in the past they could put some in mine if theirs is full on collection days ,but I would expect it to be sorted .
I can’t see all but I tried to lift it out but as it was already ripped it ripped further ,revealing toys and children’s clothing.
That bin is for stuff that can’t be recycled .
I can only hope when bin day comes next week for that bin ,it will be covered with what  I will have put in.
Otherwise I will have to speak to the bin men and see what they say.

When there are so many charities that will take good unwanted items it seems a pity that people still throw them in a skip !
You see it in the programmes where stuff renovated .

Well must get on , Cheerio.
Viktoria.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 April 24 09:03 BST (UK) »
Morning all
Just had a massive wasp shimmy through our window opening - modern double glazed window on its smallest lock setting so the gap is tiny and I still had the curtains shut. I hadn’t seen it come in, just suddenly heard it and it was Loud! I opened the window fully and then shut the curtains again in the hope it would stay behind the curtains and it worked. It buzzed off out again. Didn’t expect one of those in April. We’ve had some lovely big fat bumble bees around , but this was def a stripey wasp.
North East of England

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 April 24 10:31 BST (UK) »
A Hornet perhaps.?

I found a VineWeevil in the kitchen sink a day or  so ago, they do get in the house occasionally but near the front door with the garden just close by ,but in thr sink, it would have had to climb the units which are a glossy black, unless it went up the walls and across the ceiling——

Sun coming out now after a wet start .
Drugs review this afternoon ,between the  Health  Centre and the Chemist ———always errors and if a new prescription all goes out of regularity and I get sent drugs I have not been prescribed for ages!
Cohens took over Lloyd’s, and what a difference !
The staff are not friendly or obliging.
At our Lloyd’s they were all  local people and very obliging re prescriptions for holidays before the due date etc.
Not at Cohens.

Never mind a small irritation by comparison.
Can pick up my glasses with the new prescription lens, the opticians keep emailing me for feedback but last time the bifocal line was so high it cut right across my line of vision so I am holding back re comments etc.As yet!
At £299 for new lens in my usual frame not a new frame is expensive !
More expense tomorrow,Dentist ——- :-X that will be another “ Ouch”.

Well hoping all are safe and those unwell get some improvement .
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 April 24 11:15 BST (UK) »
It's a beautiful warm and sunny Spring day here. Maybe we shall even get through the day without any rain. Have you noticed that it's a good year for dandelions?  Walking round the village today I saw them everywhere, on roadsides, pathways and in peoples' gardens.  Some of them are already turning into "clocks", so watch out if you don't want them in your garden, as they have really deep roots and are difficult to get rid of.  I pull the heads off them before they start to seed.

Viktoria
I have found that it's a false economy to have new lenses fitted into old frames, as by far the largest part of the cost seems to be in the lenses.  Still, if you like your frames, it's worth doing.  The last time I had my eyes tested the optician told me that there was no need for me to purchase new glasses, as my eyes hadn't changed, "...unless you fancy a new frames!".  I didn't fall for that one.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 April 24 19:02 BST (UK) »
I didn't need be everyday specs but I did buy a pair of very expensive prescription sunglasses , last changed 2018, well overdue, I need sun specs even if it is just bright but not sun  due to molecular , so I feel if is a good investment, the optician  suggested not to have new lens put in  the existing frames, so perhaps it is the reason they cecome brittle.

Been a beautiful day today, young women out in  shorts and skimpy tops, not fir me I am afraid,  "ner cast a clout" and all that, heard it will  be chilly tomorrow.

I watched an incident in a bank today, it sure proves the cashiers are careful, a  elderly man didn't have his pass number , had already paid a large amount  out and now wanted another amount for someone else, , it was quite sad really, I got involved because he started to talk to me whilst the cashier went into the office, I tried to assure him they were only looking after  his interests,  he was getting  quite angry about the situation, not me, but I did leave him with a laugh, poor man, but cashiers really have to be very careful.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 April 24 22:28 BST (UK) »
My daughter visited today and insisted on finishing vacuuming the room for me.   I used to move furniture about many years ago to make sure there wasn't a speck of dust and dirt anywhere.   I have a very heavy early 20th century sideboard which she insisted on shifting and to her horror she discovered a dead mouse behind it    She didn't move the piano, so I might have a surprise when that's moved lol
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 April 24 22:46 BST (UK) »
It would be a field mouse most likely,you almost never get one house mouse.

I too like to get behind the scenes but it gets more difficult every time !
I have gadgets to get behind and under things ,my picky up stick is handy to hold a damp soapy cloth forvhard to reach skirting boards ,from when I ruptured two discs in my back, was not allowed to bend over so  had to get a stick I could squeeze and it would open like a claw and grasp things .

Dentist today, afterwards I called on a lady who does come to Church, but seemed all alone so I chatted with her and today we went for a coffee .
She has not lived here very long  and is quite lonely.

Well I need to get to bed.Another week flown by!
Cheerio, hope you all have a nice sunny weekend .
Viktoria.
h

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 12 April 24 23:03 BST (UK) »
hello all
i had a nice day at local family history office spent 90mins in the morning learning to search 1921 census on FindMyPast + looking for recoeds of evacuees to Great glen for a storytelling session that im going to do with local brownies

then went for lunch  in my favourite community cafe where i bumped int some friends
back to the fh office which has a wonderful view of town hall square the fountain + wedding parties

wrote up an article about identifying my friends african grandfather + welsh grandmother .

+ printed out the 1921 census record with my grandmother 19 +6 months living with her adoptive father widowed retired tailor aged 80 +10 months also with his widowed daughter + her 2 daughters who all worked at lever brothers .my grandma was a shorthand  typist
one of the "cousins" attended my mothers wedding but at the time she didnt know how she was
related .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson