Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 14th April 2024  (Read 7995 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 14th April 2024
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 13 April 24 02:41 BST (UK) »
It would be a field mouse most likely,you almost never get one house mouse.

I know and as a rule I've heard that if you have mice you do not have rats and vice versa. 

Years ago my pinking shears (scissors) went missing. I looked everywhere and eventually  Mr Nobody confessed that they'd had them whilst sitting on the sofa. I upended the sofa and whilst doing so heard the chink of money.  To get at the scissors and the cash I had to cut the sacking from the underside of the sofa.  The sight that met my eyes meant I did not replace the sacking, but I did get rid of the mouse's nest and as we had an "outdoor" cat I put her in the sitting room overnight.  The next day there were quite a lot of little dead bodies in the room.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 13 April 24 02:42 BST (UK) »

DELETED
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 13 April 24 07:55 BST (UK) »
My cousin had a field mouse in his kitchen and let it roam free and eat the cornflakes or whatever. Kept as a kind of pet. Never tried to catch it and put it outside
It must have found it's way out or died somewhere eventually.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 13 April 24 08:48 BST (UK) »
Many years ago there was a” theory” that house mice carried a virus , it could affect humans and was implicated in cancer cases, I am sure it was spurious !
Just like the bogus Canadian research that linked the MMR vaccine to Autism in children.

I really can’t stand mice and rats ,it is the bare tail,I can handle Hamsters and Gerbils .Their tails are none existent or furry. but rats and mice - tails like miniature snakes——- yerrrrrrrgggghhhhh,
We had - probably a field mouse - in our kitchen once, the CouncilPest  controller came etc.
He explained how they could squeeze through such small spaces as their ribs can move in so they are smaller.
They run over all surfaces so a real deep clean was needed , we had a cat too!
The mouse was soon caught .

Well off to the shops with my trusty trolley, I like to go on my own and plan my route ,if my son takes me it is not as convenient ,surprisingly .
So I sneak out before he gets up. He works long hours with different time zones etc , so I sneak out quietly on Saturdays so he can have a bit more sleep.

Hope you all have a nice weekend.
Viktoria.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 13 April 24 09:28 BST (UK) »
Family history society is open 1 Saturday morning per month
+ It's today .. so guess where I'm going.!

Drew a blank on the 1921 register for the family & servants of Stretton Hall
But a rootschatter has added  a helpful hint to my post

So maybe I will find out if the ayah ( children s nanny) travelled with them from India via Mauritius to village of great glen and was retained for another 10 years + another 3 babies
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 13 April 24 10:01 BST (UK) »
I can't eat for the rest of the day, so went out early for bags of compost, looks a reasonable day so will keep away from food and into the garden as long  as the weather stays nice.

Don't think we have had a mouse indoors but we did I the garden shed, I am ok with them but not so with spiders.

Have a good weekend

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 13 April 24 10:20 BST (UK) »
Many years ago we went to live in an old hall which had been uninhabited for some time.  We shared the house with my brother's family and worked hard at renovating it, but we soon found traces of mice, so used to set traps for them every night, each with a blob of Mars bar on it.  During the night we would hear these traps going off with a snap and every morning my son would remove the dead mice and throw them out into the surrounding woods.

Now we live at the other end of the country and the problem is rats, not in the house, I hasten to add, but they nest under sheds and visit the compost bin, so my husband has to put rat poison down from time to time.  It's a common thing nowadays - they say you are only a few yards from a rat whether you live in the country or in a town.  Viktoria, I'm like you, and don't like the bare tails of rats and mice, though I'm OK with hamsters and gerbils.

We are having the second day in a row of warm sunshine!  The temperature is set to drop a little later, but next week is forecast to be fine every day.  It's unbelievable!  The farmers are struggling with their crops in the sodden fields, though, and there is talk of veg prices rising.

I've just received my invitation to have a Spring booster Covid jab from the surgery and will have my annual review at the same time.  We oldies who have underlying conditions are reviewed every year to see that we are on the right medication and so on.  There are blood tests, too, height and weight and a few questions about our lifestyle.  We don't get to see a doctor, of course, just a nurse, though we would be summoned back when the test results come back if anything was of concern.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 13 April 24 13:06 BST (UK) »
What dreadful news from Sydney:

BBC News - 'It was carnage' - Eyewitnesses describe Sydney stabbing horror
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-68805401

What on earth is happening in the world, these sort of attacks seem to be becoming much more prevalent.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 13 April 24 15:55 BST (UK) »
Yes Roobarb one victim a young baby, the very brave W.P. C had to shoot the gunman. He will be traced though I am sure ,it needs to be known if he acted alone or was part of an “ organisation” .
I phoned my sister who has a daughter and her family in Sydney .
She seemed not worried .

It is indeed shocking news.

A bright afternoon after some rain.

I am watching one Amaryllis leaf ,growing almost as I watch it!
A leftover from Christmas.

Omelettes for tea with a hefty  salad, and a cheese boule loaf .

Hope no one has anyone affected by the tragedy in Sydney.

Viktoria.