Author Topic: Was William "Wind" of Cow Close born out of marriage?  (Read 555 times)

Offline Seelife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Was William "Wind" of Cow Close born out of marriage?
« on: Monday 08 April 24 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks, I have been over this before, but now I wonder if exploring again may reveal something.
I have my brickwall at a William "Wind" of Cow Close, Lamesley. he has 5 kids.
    Baptisms Chester-le-Street 1755 Margaret Wind Cow Close William
    Baptisms Chester-le-Street 1758 Thomas Wind Cow Close William
    Baptisms Chester-le-Street 1761 William Wind Cow Close William
    Baptisms Chester-le-Street 1767 John Wind Cow Close William
    Baptisms Chester-le-Street 1770 Henry Wind Cow Close William
William is not shown as a "Wind" in records, and I have found no mother recorded. The only "William" I find in baptism records that has a rough birth date as a possible father, is a William (Blank), born 1735. This is from Durhamrecordsonline- Lamesley, County Durham, St. Andrew, Denomination: Anglican, baptised  29 Jun 1735 William [blank], of Cow Close, son of William [blank].  I wonder if there is an image that may hint at something.....

This is by no means the correct William father of five. BUT, I wonder if William Blank is illegitimate. Or if a William has blown in from somewhere. One of the children, Henry is noted in a record as a mariner who later becomes a coal miner. Could "William" be a waterman/mariner? I am not so sure as Cow Close, altho a mining area, and coal was transported on keelboats, this option seems a bit off track maybe.

The question I keep asking is, if the five kids get a surname of "Wind", where did the name come from? There are a whole series of Non-Connected Wind families (at the moment) around Gateshead , Lamesley, Chester Le Street etc right down to Staindrop and Yorkshire. If William Blank is the "father, why is he blank, who was the father/mother. As my yDNA is narrowly linked to a Danelaw origin, it gets quite interesting to work out the pathway - if possible.

Any hints would be sooooo appreciated, its getting super messy tracking all the "other" Winds.
Thanks heaps.
Winn, Wynne, Wynd, Wind, Winde

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Was William "Wind" of Cow Close born out of marriage?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 April 24 15:20 BST (UK) »
The surname appears to mean a place as shown on this webpage:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_(surname)#:~:text=Wind%20is%20a%20topographical%20surname,pathway%2C%20alleyway%2C%20or%20road.

Unfortunately you have the same problem as me with one of my lines, where the Vicar was so lazy he couldn't even be bothered to write full words

I should think the parents of the baby were married.  When a mother of a baby was not married her name would be recorded against the name of the baptised baby.  I have a Catholic document where the priest made a note in the margin of a baby he had baptised which was "The couple have promised to marry within the year"..  The mother was a young teenage girl and presumably her parents had forbidden the marriage.

The first baby would probably be born with the help of the maternal grandmother, hence you might find the first baby born in a different town/village or even different county.  I have one pregnant bride who travelled from London up to Yorkshire for the birth of her first baby.

The English and the Scots had a similar naming pattern, which could mean that the baby's maternal grandmother was named Margaret and the baby's paternal grandfather was named Thomas Wind.

1st son named after paternal grandfather (patGF)
2nd son named after maternal grandfather (matGF)
3rd son named after father (F)
4th son named after father’s eldest brother (patB)
5th son named after mother’s eldest brother (matB)

1st daughter named after maternal grandmother (matGM)
2nd daughter named after paternal grandmother (patGM)
3rd daughter named after mother (M)
4th daughter named after mother’s eldest sister (matS)
5th daughter named after father’s eldest sister (patS)

My paternal grandfather didn't have a family given name, he carried the full name of a family friend who couldn't have any children.

I have one family story of one spinster working as a maid who hid her baby in a drawer.  I found that mother working as a maid with three other spinsters in a large household, but no baby; presumably that was the household where the baby was hidden in a drawer..  The baby's father had been a sailor who perished at sea before the baby was born.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 02:48 BST (UK) »
Doesn't help with a baptism, but is this his death at Cow Close in 1770?
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5817ddd4e93790ec757cc655

Trying to find a wife's name, I had a quick look on FreeReg but couldn't see any female name buried with an abode of Cow Close.

Offline Seelife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 06:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rena, useful tips to keep in mind
Hi Maddy, yes that's him. I've added info on his WikiTree profile. At the moment I'm going through all Williams of 1735 ish to find hints.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 13:34 BST (UK) »
There is a Marriage 9 Dec 1754 Chester-le-Street  William WIND to Mary HIND

+ a Burial 16 Apr 1816 of MARY Wind age 85 (c 1731)
Abode Great Lumley
Although not sure if that is her as there is a William Wind a Taylor with a Wife Mary
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Seelife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish. I am fairly sure that is not the right marriage. The William-Mary Hind marriage is for a William of Lumley b 1731. There has been much confusion and many Trees mix the two Williams up. There is a William of Lumley (tailor) and a William of Lamesley (Cow Close) who is maybe born 1735... May trees conflate the two. In truth is an easy mistake.

The only William of the Lamesly area is this William no surname born 1735.
There is however a marriage that does not quite fit, but I have not been able to find kids for that is possibility....    27 Dec 1760 William Wind (of this parish) married Ann Watson (of this parish), by banns. I have found no family and its the only one that stands out. But it is also 5 years after the first child of William. Trying to nail down this guy is so frustrating!

Offline Seelife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 06:53 BST (UK) »
I have also confirmed with Durhamrecordsonlie, that William born 1735 has a blank surname.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 17:08 BST (UK) »
With regard to incorrect facts.  We have to remember that many people couldn't read and write, or maybe they could write their own name.  My grandfather born in the 1880s was taught to write and read by my grandmother.

I have two people in the family tree who were two years older than stated by their parents on census forms.  Presumably this was in an effort to stop gossip and maybe to stop their offspring from being a local outcast.

In the days when teenagers had to move great distances to find work, they give incorrect information on official documents.  I have the oldest child in a family thinking they were born in the same place as their younger siblings and it's only when they had to produce documentation at their wedding that they saw their correct birth place. 
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Seelife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 April 24 07:51 BST (UK) »
I agree totally and have a number of similar situations. The errors I refer to a direct transcription errors confirmed by review of original data. Simply put, be careful of Genuki data, it's really useful, but you need to check originals in critical sources.