Author Topic: Adding additional surnames in baptism records  (Read 694 times)

Online Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
Re: Adding additional surnames in baptism records
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 April 24 16:24 BST (UK) »
Banns of Marriage (in FindMyPast) at East Stonehouse St George between Margaret Evens (sic) LOCK & George BROWN both of this Parish (5 Hob?. St) were called 1859 - 21 Aug, 28 Aug, 4 Sep.

I note of course that this is just Banns and not a marriage. I thought I had found the couple together in the 1861 census but can't see it now. So maybe the Margaret Lock in East Stonehouse in 1861 census is the same lass and the one you have the marriage for.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 April 24 16:44 BST (UK) »
The 1859 banns register has an M written against it on those I have checked either side of that one for Margaret Evens Lock and George Brown but no M alongside theirs.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 April 24 17:56 BST (UK) »
That's an interesting discovery. I wonder what happened there? Good to know I was not barking up the wrong tree. So many details were right.

The Evans part remains a mystery until I get to search for Margaret's mother maiden name.

Thank you all for your help.

I must familiarise myself with searching the banns.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 April 24 18:35 BST (UK) »

I'm hoping there might be a clue as to the mother's maiden name. Would she have been an Evans? It appears that she was born in Cork around 1797 so having a maiden name to follow up would be a great help.

In 1861 Ann said she was born at Castlemartyr in Cork.  Unfortunately those registers have been lost.

Notes: Three volumes of parish registers comprising baptisms 1768-1876, marriages 1769-
1845, and burials 1772-1877, were destroyed in the fire at the Public Record Office
of Ireland during the civil war in 1922

https://www.ireland.anglican.org/cmsfiles/pdf/AboutUs/library/registers/ParishRegisters/PARISHREGISTERS.pdf

Just as a matter of interest, there is an enlistment record for a John EVANS who was born c1800 at Castlemartyr.

Name         John EVANS
Age                 17
Birth Place      Castlemartyr, Cork
Military Date   29 Oct. 1817
Unit                  97th Foot Soldiers

Debra  :)

Online Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 April 24 18:36 BST (UK) »
Yes I made a mistake assuming that Banns would lead to a marriage but it does seem to be her and adds another twist to her storey.
Can't see how you can find out for sure what the mother's maiden name is. Needs someone who knows about Irish records probably. Or could the army have made a note of one of their men getting married? He would have needed permission I think.
I would not worry about Margaret saying her dad was a shoemaker when she married. Back then lots of men could probably do a bit of shoe mending (like my dad did) and Shoemaker sounds a bit better than Labourer. In fact as he was getting older mending shoes may have been all he could usefully do.

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 April 24 20:23 BST (UK) »

I'm hoping there might be a clue as to the mother's maiden name. Would she have been an Evans? It appears that she was born in Cork around 1797 so having a maiden name to follow up would be a great help.

In 1861 Ann said she was born at Castlemartyr in Cork.  Unfortunately those registers have been lost.

Notes: Three volumes of parish registers comprising baptisms 1768-1876, marriages 1769-
1845, and burials 1772-1877, were destroyed in the fire at the Public Record Office
of Ireland during the civil war in 1922

https://www.ireland.anglican.org/cmsfiles/pdf/AboutUs/library/registers/ParishRegisters/PARISHREGISTERS.pdf

Just as a matter of interest, there is an enlistment record for a John EVANS who was born c1800 at Castlemartyr.

Name         John EVANS
Age                 17
Birth Place      Castlemartyr, Cork
Military Date   29 Oct. 1817
Unit                  97th Foot Soldiers

Debra  :)

Thank you Debra. That's good to know about the Irish records. All might not be lost regarding the maiden name.

Ann from Cork met John Lock(e) from Kingsbridge, a gunner in the Royal Artillery, at some point during his posting in Dublin. I have reason to believe they married in the UK in 1825 then moved to Moreleigh. I've yet to pursue that line just yet. A lot of information has come to light today thanks to the helpful and knowledgeable folk at RootsChat.

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 April 24 20:25 BST (UK) »
Yes I made a mistake assuming that Banns would lead to a marriage but it does seem to be her and adds another twist to her storey.
Can't see how you can find out for sure what the mother's maiden name is. Needs someone who knows about Irish records probably. Or could the army have made a note of one of their men getting married? He would have needed permission I think.
I would not worry about Margaret saying her dad was a shoemaker when she married. Back then lots of men could probably do a bit of shoe mending (like my dad did) and Shoemaker sounds a bit better than Labourer. In fact as he was getting older mending shoes may have been all he could usefully do.

This definitely adds to the story. Thank you for your help in unearthing it!