Author Topic: 44th Essex Regiment, Tyrone Militia, 43rd Regiment of Foot  (Read 155 times)

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
44th Essex Regiment, Tyrone Militia, 43rd Regiment of Foot
« on: Monday 08 April 24 13:04 BST (UK) »
born 1765, William Cathcart, Katchcart / Kithcart and other variations...married Rebecca Key. in 1802 at St.Mary the Virgin, Bocking, Braintree, Essex.
I was contacted by RR saying he had a DNA test result from Ancestry showing connections to the Essex Cathcarts through his maternal side.  William's son Joseph born at Bocking 1802 was the only one I knew about.  Is there any way of finding out more about William and any connection to Ireland?
thanks, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 44th Essex Regiment, Tyrone Militia, 43rd Regiment of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 April 24 14:27 BST (UK) »
I'm not clear on what the title of the thread is based. The two regiments, the 43rd and the 44th, were entirely separate and shared no common lineage. Do you think that William Cathcart served in both Regiments, or are there two separate individuals named William Cathcart, one in each regiment, either of whom might be the man you are interested in?

Furthermore we don't know what period of service we should be looking at. If WC was born 1765 he might have been expected to join the Army circa 1783 and then, depending on his health etc serve for up to 20 years. That means that when the son was born in 1803, WC would either be just about to end his service or already have left.

Turning to the Irish connection, the 43rd (Monmouthshire) Regiment of Foot (Light Infantry) to give them their full title, were only in Ireland in 1787-93. Although the Regiment had a second battalion this wasn't raised until around 1804 and then only served in Europe as part of the Napoleonic Campaign.

The 44th (East Essex) Regiment of Foot were stationed in Ireland in 1792-3 and then went to the West Indies and didn't return to Ireland until 1802. That Regiment's second battalion was raised in Ireland in July 1803 and then moved to England the following year. Don't be misled into thinking that just because WC was born in Essex, he would have automatically joined his county regiment. As can seen by the fact the 2nd battalion was raised in Ireland, Regiments got recruits wherever they could find them.

And then lastly, the Tyrone Militia was an entirely separate unit, not affiliated to either of the two regular army regiments mentioned so far. Their role was the internal defence of Ireland and most militiamen only served for about 3 years, and even then they were part timers. With the rise of the threat from France at the end of the eighteenth century some militiamen were encouraged to join the regular army and so might have, for instance, joined the 43rd or 44th if those regiments were recruiting in Ireland at the time. However the military threat to Britain from Napoleon didn't really start until 1793, by which time WC would have been aged 28 - comparatively old to join the Army, but  a more normal age to join the Militia which tended to favour single men or married men with no children under 10 years of age.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 44th Essex Regiment, Tyrone Militia, 43rd Regiment of Foot
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 April 24 16:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andy.   I found more info on Wikipedia.  I've emailed RR to ask if he knows William Cathcart's birthplace.  If it was Ireland he may be connected to me.  I've asked him for dates of enlistments with the Army and date and place of death ... awaiting his reply.  I did a DNA test with Ancestry a month ago  .. then I will know if we are connected.
Rootschatters previously located much info for me on my maternal Great Grandfather, the Rogue, James Cathcart.
He was born at Fulwood, Preston in 1852 or 1854 but not baptised until 1855 when his mother Jane Dickinson had married widower John Cathcart (of Ireland) moved to Kendal, then Alloa then enlisted in the RA as a bombardier and was stationed at Cliffden Camp, near Freshwater, IoWight.
there he married in 1874.  He Re-enlisted with the Scots Guards at London but was discovered to be a Deserter and returned to the RA.
He and his family appear at Southerness in the 1881 Census using the Wilson surname.  On the same Census page are other Army Wilsons, some from Ireland.
James Cathcart (Wilson) then disappears.  His wife dies aged 27 in Freshwater in 1885 after being in the Workhouse and her children go into Workhouses again.
His youngest son, Albert William (Edward) Cathcart, b.1884 enlists and eventually becomes RSM of the Lancers based at Weedon Bec.  He marries Gladys Emma Tubby in 1925.  She told me he never knew his parents but had been told his father was from Glasgow. Alloa is not too far away and he was there in 1871.
I suspect he snuck into Canada or the USA.
cheers,  Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.