Author Topic: The PATONS of Rutherglen  (Read 543 times)

Online garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: The PATONS of Rutherglen
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 April 24 05:24 BST (UK) »
I being rather facetious realise of course everyone has their own belonging to a area town village or city even country but today most would think of a greater Glasgow incorporating the mentioned names but I know they have their own indentities and history so no offence intended.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 April 24 08:24 BST (UK) »

My first is George who came over from Ireland and married Cathrine (Catheren) DUFFY on 14 March 1848.

This marriage:

DUFFY
CATHRINE
GEORGE PATON
/FR785 (FR785)
14/03/1848
40 / 127
RUTHERGLEN

So, when saying your great Great Grandfather John, who also seems to be a Paton, based on the 1859 marriage:

MCCABE
BRIDGET
PATON
JOHN
654 / 57
RUTHERGLEN

was born in 1840, which is c8 years earlier than the George/Cathrine marriage, can you clarify who his parents were as presumably not George and Cathrine? Are you trying to connect John's family to George's family?

I now see the 1851 census has the following group at 43 King Street, Rutherglen:

George   Paton   Head   Married   Male   43   1808   Coal miner   
Catherine   Paton   Wife   Married   Female   22   1829
Jean   Paton   Daughter   Unmarried   Female   8   1843   
John   Paton   Son   Unmarried   Male   11   1840   
James   Paton   Son   -   Male   2   1849   

so, given the large age difference between George and Cathrine, were John and Jean born to a former wife of George?

Unfortunately, I am not immediately seeing a Paton family at 43 King Street, Rutherglen (where you have stated your John was born in 1840) in the 1841 census, or indeed a local/nearby family group with an Irish born George and a son John. Nor am I immediately seeing the 1840 birth of John, or the c1843 birth of Jean anywhere in Scotland.

Have you viewed an original copy of the 1851 census to see what birth place/s are listed for each member of the household at 43 King Street then? A transcript I have viewed suggests 'Armash', Ireland, which could more likely be 'Armagh'. What original record do you have showing your John as born in 1840 at King Street?

In John's 1859 marriage record, what names are listed for his parents?

In 1861 census, a John and Bridget Paton are living at 43 King Street, with John noted as born Ireland.

My (hopefully helpful), suggestion, would be to re-visit your research, view as many original records as possible and work methodically through same, cross referencing with as many original sources as possible. At a very quick glance, I can see numerous online trees with equally as numerous discrepancies between the 'facts' contained in them, but apparently for John's family group. Some of those have his mother as an Agnes Crawford, does this match with the details on the 1859 marriage of your John?

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 April 24 18:12 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, I am not immediately seeing a Paton family at 43 King Street, Rutherglen (where you have stated your John was born in 1840) in the 1841 census, or indeed a local/nearby family group with an Irish born George and a son John. Nor am I immediately seeing the 1840 birth of John, or the c1843 birth of Jean anywhere in Scotland.
I am looking at a transcription that says that George aged 43, Catherine aged 22, John aged 11 and Jean aged 8 were all born in Armash, Ireland, which I agree is bound to be Armagh.

So it's not surprising that we can't find their baptisms in Scotland.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.