Author Topic: Jane Forsyth 1763 - 1839  (Read 267 times)

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Forsyth 1763 - 1839
« on: Monday 08 April 24 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi There, I would appreciate some thoughts regarding my 4 x Great Grandparents (Maternal) Alexander King & Jean/Jane Forsyth. In particular Jane.

I think she was born 3rd April 1763 in Alves, Moray to George Forsyth & Margaret Thomson but all the other trees that I have seen show her as being born 1st October 1760 in Botrophine, Banffshire to William Forsyth (Forsythia Botanist) & Anne/Agnes MacKay. (I know not to trust other trees without verification).

Alexander & Jane were possibly married in 1785 but I cannot find any proof of this on Scotland's People website.

Alexander & Jane had 7 children whose births I have found in the OPR's were all born in Keith, Banffshire.
Margaret 1788, Alexander 1790, Jean 1792, Helen 1794, George 1797, John 1800 & Isobel 1803.

Using the Scottish naming pattern I would expect to see a William somewhere especially if William Forsyth was a Botanist & also there is no Anne/Agnes whereas there  is a Margaret (first daughter) & George (second son). Another thought is that there could have been a child (or two) born between 1785 & 1788.

I have not been able to confirm Alexander's parents yet but it is a possibility that he was born in 1764 in Marnoch to James King & Elspet Innes.

Jean possibly died 1839 in Keith. The OPR shows her as wife of Alexander King.
Assuming this is correct I checked for Alexander's death between 1839 & 1855 & there was an Alexander King who died 21 Feb 1841.
Neither OPR gives an age which would have been helpful.

I could not see an Alexander King in the 1841 census for Keith of an appropriate age.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Forsyth 1763 - 1839
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 April 24 17:57 BST (UK) »
If Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Forsyth_(horticulturist) is to be believed, it seems unlkely that the William Forsyth in Botriphnie is the horticulturalist? What is the evidence for the man in Botriphnie being the royal gardener?

Have you viewed all the baptisms? Who were the witnesses and do they provide any clues?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 April 24 19:07 BST (UK) »
The William Forsyth is the one shown on all the other trees & I have not done as many others have done i.e. just taken it as gospel which is why I queried it. Thank you for the link to Wikipedia. I presume many others wanted a famous name in their tree.
As for all the baptisms I have not checked them and have taken the transcription from Ancestry. It will be a good idea to look at the originals.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 April 24 19:36 BST (UK) »
The William Forsyth is the one shown on all the other trees & I have not done as many others have done i.e. just taken it as gospel which is why I queried it. Thank you for the link to Wikipedia. I presume many others wanted a famous name in their tree.
As for all the baptisms I have not checked them and have taken the transcription from Ancestry. It will be a good idea to look at the originals.
It will indeed. I seem to recall that the Keith baptism records mostly do say who the witnesses were.

It's never a good idea to rely on Ancestry. See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.