Author Topic: HOGG dau married to Dr Thomas Girtin c 1830?  (Read 1902 times)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HOGG dau married to Dr Thomas Girtin c 1830?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 12:42 BST (UK) »
Strange though that in the PCC will of Mary Hog she is described as spinster, so can't really be Rachel's mother; and George Wyndham personally went to affirm the will after she died, confirming that she knew Mary and her writing well, therefore could testify it was written in her hand, yet doesn't give away any blood connection or family link to her - or is that normal?

Yes..I think that’s quite normal.

A description Mary’s 1856 death is in the papers. Including a couple of free to view ones.
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01t3w/

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 13:15 BST (UK) »
Ha it's a bit of a tangled web!

I also got in touch with a Girtin art historian, Greg Smith, who kindly furnished me with this information:
The Hog part of the family name came from Mary Hog (c.1781–1856) who was described by a later writer who interviewed her as the ‘confidante of Thomas Girtin’s wife, bridesmaid, and also godmother to the only child of the painter, the present Mr Girtin.’

So maybe she was just a friend. Although if she was that close to the Girtin family, again strange that she left everything to sister Ida and nothing to Thomas Calvert (although he was probably fairly wealthy anyway).

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 20:38 BST (UK) »
I’ve been wondering about the Barrett witnesses.

The witnesses are Borretts I think - Phineas Borrett was Thomas Calvert's grandfather, Ann Borrett his grandfather, and Mary Ann Cohen his mother. Her first husband Thomas Girtin (Thomas Calvert's father) died in 1802. She married Edward Cohen in 1811.

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 April 24 15:43 BST (UK) »
I wonder what happened to the vault in St Mary Aldermanbury where the Hogs were buried. The church was bombed in the blitz, then gifted and rebuilt in the States after the war! (see the brilliant London Inheritance blog about it https://alondoninheritance.com/thebombedcity/two-bombed-churches-st-alban-st-mary/)

I have received the will of Ida Johanna (attached) which I'm not sure adds that much - but I guess sends the roots of the Hogs back to Scotland as the only Hog mentioned in it is Thomas Alexander Hog from Linlithgow, Scotland.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 April 24 20:38 BST (UK) »
Yes. The Hogs are in the red book of Scotland.
http://redbookofscotland.co.uk/red-books-of-scotland
 But I don’t believe it quite has that section of the family correct.   I feel sure it is missing Roger Junior (the father of Mary & Ida Johanna)
When I manage to find it again I will tell you where I found it! It wasn’t at the above link because I didn’t pay for it. When I did look at it it was no help with your Haward problem.

Added…Ancestry .. Scotland, Red Books of Scotland, 1600-1939

Meanwhile. I wonder if this is Roger Hog’s (the father of Mary & Ida) marriage https://www.wiewaswie.nl/en/search/.   The image not loading for me.

And the wills of Mary senior & junior and Roger all mentioned Thomas Alexander. But only as executor.

One of the Hogs married a Maitland so the George Ramsay Maitland of Ida’s Will could be connected.

Anyway…I think since once again no direct mention of your family, that they must have been just very good friends.  It does seem odd though to give every single child Hog/g as a name though.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 April 24 21:08 BST (UK) »
Yes, that marriage in Rotterdam is to Mary Murdoch. 15 Sept 1771,
She was born in Rotterdam and her parents are
William Murdoch and Ida Johanna Meijers.

So that must be the correct marriage & no Hawards there.

Stopping now…I am at risk of falling down a huge Hog rabbit hole, and that is not your question!  ;D

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 April 24 21:35 BST (UK) »
That's absolutely brilliant, and where the name Ida Johanna comes from, what a great discovery thank you! Ha I wonder which Ida Johanna Thomas Calvert's daughter was named after, the original one from Rotterdam or Mary Hog's sister Ida Johanna.

Very interesting, I think I spotted some Meyers/Meijers in the St Mary Islington registers, I'll have to go back and find them :)

I think the Haward issue was wondering who Thomas Calvert's mother in law was, married to Charles Haward in Suffolk. I might try and look again, but pretty sure now that there is no Hog connection there.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 13 April 24 21:37 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I didn’t see you had been on. I’ve modified both replies 13 & 14