Author Topic: Terrence Guthrie/Gutry/Guthar/Guttery born 1840 Tipperary....but Where????  (Read 1179 times)

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Terrence Guthrie/Gutry/Guthar/Guttery born 1840 Tipperary....but Where????
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 April 24 20:15 BST (UK) »
Yes this is from the shipping list
Arrival
7 Dec 1861 • Melbourne, Australia but contracted for Hobart
ship Donald Mackay Terrence Guttery origin Tipperary Ireland age 21 Farm Labourer brought out by Patrick Guttery. Bridget Fahy also on board 23 Farm Servant origin Galway also brought out by Patrick Guttery

Online shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 April 24 22:58 BST (UK) »
Have you investigated Patrick Guttery?  ie to find out when he came and his forebears?

it was common in those days for other family members  or village families to sponsor other members.

Sometimes also looking at early time census records from the communities that people went to can provide information as many families/villages had chain migration going on.   

Is Bridget Fahy related to Catherine Fahy?

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 April 24 19:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that...
I cant find where Bridget and Catherine are related but I did find where Patrick Guttery applied for immigration for one male cousin and one female cousin from Galway to work at his 399 acre farm about 4 month before they arrived.
Original ship log states Patrick from Tipperary and Bridget from Galway...just maybe Patrick was a "tricker" and really from Galway
Patrick Guthrie and Bridget Fahey arrived 1861   Patrick married 1865 to Catherine Fahey..must be a connection
Cheers Rick

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 April 24 20:17 BST (UK) »

There are a small number of trees on Ancestry, and I see they have all been caught by the same problem...one person reckons born 1838, however I think this a guess.

Rick, I think the estimated birth year of 1838 comes from the 1865 marriage cert for Terence and Catherine where he shows as aged 27 and Catherine 25. The original image of the cert is included on this family tree www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/108549926/person/400067787875/facts

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk