Author Topic: RAF record of service  (Read 407 times)

Offline mrs_orrell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RAF record of service
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 April 24 14:40 BST (UK) »
LTTB = Local Trade Test Board (an examination or review to check the competency of the individual in their RAF trade)

see https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=657408.0

Thank you so much - I'm getting a better idea of what he may have been doing now. He was only 19 when he enlisted, 21 by the end of the war. I think he must have done something with mechanics as I have a photo of him after the war in overalls next to a bus and I think he worked on the engines, although he was a carpenter before the war. My nana said he did more carpentry training after the war as well, so I will have to check with her the date of the bus photo. Maybe it's not from after the war.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 April 24 15:15 BST (UK) »
I think your grandad was Carpenter in the RAF.
On his record is CARP in the Trade column, CARP also appears in some of the Special Qualifications.
The Miles Magister was constructed from plywood.

Tony

added - Miles Magister should read Miles Master
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline mrs_orrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 April 24 15:21 BST (UK) »
I think your grandad was Carpenter in the RAF.
On his record is CARP in the Trade column, CARP also appears in some of the Special Qualifications.
The Miles Magister was constructed from plywood.

Tony

I've just come to the same conclusion! I've been reading some of the stories on the BBC WW2 site and one of them was a carpenter who said he worked on Mosquitoes. He was also sent to No3 school or technical training like Grandad was. So Grandad wasn't working on spitfires then!

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 April 24 17:23 BST (UK) »
I've just come to the same conclusion! I've been reading some of the stories on the BBC WW2 site and one of them was a carpenter who said he worked on Mosquitoes. He was also sent to No3 school or technical training like Grandad was. So Grandad wasn't working on spitfires then!
Spitfires did contain some key wooden components in the wings, mainly made of spruce, so he might well have worked on them.

Offline mrs_orrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 April 24 17:32 BST (UK) »
It's nice to know it *could* have been spitfires! He did like going to see them at Duxford  ;) Mosquitoes are pretty cool though. I'm going to have to look up the Miles Magister and Master :)