Author Topic: Ministers in Middlesex London in 1690s  (Read 280 times)

Offline tornado

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ministers in Middlesex London in 1690s
« on: Monday 15 April 24 15:11 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any websites where I can gather info about my 8th G Grandfather Jacob Rouffignac b 1640 France . I know he was a French Huguenot and emigrated to the UK . His occupation was Minister and about 1695 her was living in Middlesex London area with his Family . It would be good to know what church he worked in and I appreciate any help here . Thank you all.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ministers in Middlesex London in 1690s
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 April 24 15:23 BST (UK) »
This WDYTYR Magazine article explores Huguenot websites for further research.
https://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/tutorials/overseas/who-were-the-huguenots

ADDED:

From the Proceedings of the Huguenot  Society  of  London --

"Among  these  non-conforming  Refugee  Pasteurs was  Jacob  de  Rouffignac,  Pasteur  of  the  little  church  and congregation  of  Puycasquier  near  Mauvezin,  who,  as  far  as  I  can  ascertain,  neither  took  Orders  in  the  Church  of  England,  nor  was  attached  as  permanent  Minister  to  any  of  the  non- conformist French  Churches  of  London".

He is discussed in the book "Huguenots in Later Stuart Britain: Volume I - Crisis, Renewal, and the the Ministers' Dilemma" [2015] by Robin Gwynn. You can view some pages online.

According to the book above, he was associated with the Threadneedle Street church. "Rouffignac was never reordained. In fact he played little ministerial role in England".

Offline tornado

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 April 24 16:21 BST (UK) »
This is wonderful news thanks . I never knew he had connections to the Threadneedle st Church , but not surprising as he did live in London for a time . I will check out the Church . I am wondering though "What he did to earn a living if not in the Church??" SOMETHING TO PONDER ON . Once again thank you for your research and time here it is appreciated . Best wishes .

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 April 24 16:29 BST (UK) »
According to the book above --

"As his prosperity increased, Jacob became adept at financial dealings. As of 31 Mar 1709 he held £402 in East India stock. He was listed as a stock broker that September, and when in 1714 he came to make his will his estate included quite substantial 'money at interest in the Bank of England' and 'orders upon ticketts (sic) of two lotterys in one annuity'".

The author used Jacob's will and his letters from the late 1680s as research.

If you don't already have it, here is his will:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D584084

Offline tornado

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 April 24 20:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this update on Jacob . So he was a stock broker at some point .. a big difference to his religious calling ?. Money maketh the Man! I suppose once you are used to having wealth it stays that way . All this information has given me an even better picture of this Man . I appreciate your time here . Best wishes.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 April 24 22:12 BST (UK) »
Other details from the book mentioned above:

1. Jacob/Jacques was imprisoned for two years at Gimont and Toulouse, before being forced to leave at the Revocation.

2. He lived in Hitchin, Herts in 1687. And in Bedfordshire in 1688.

3. Relief records show he was being assisted by March-April 1687 with his wife and four children.

4. Assistance was paid to him as an unemployed minister in the countryside in 1689-90.

5. From 1690 the relief papers show him as living in London.

6. He took a baptism in 1691 at La Patente, Spitafields, and preached once at Dover in 1692.

7. He was still receiving assistance in 1717.  :o

8. When he died in Dec 1720 he left legacies to the poor at Threadneedle Street church, and to the poor French families at Mauvezin.

Offline tornado

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 April 24 12:24 BST (UK) »
Ashtone this is wonderful news/insight into Jacobs life . This is all new to me and can be added to my files on the Family . I am curious about the relief he got?. In 1709 he had 402 pounds in east india stock yet in 1717 he was receiving assistance?. Thanks and if you discover any more on Jacob I appreciate this and best wishes.

Offline tornado

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 April 24 16:49 BST (UK) »
Ashtone I was wondering if there is an online version of the book you talk about available?. I have priced the s hand ones and even they are from 40 pound up to 100s ! Yikes too much for a book . Thanks for your help here .   

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 April 24 17:13 BST (UK) »
Yes, there is an online version of the book, but with limited viewing. The easiest way to locate it online is do a Google search using the name Rouffignac and "Robin Gwynn"

When the results appear in Google select "Huguenots in Later Stuart Britain: Volume I..." (not Vol 3)
Jacob's discussed on Pages 1744-1745. Page 1746 is unavailable for viewing. Your Google search result should take you straight to Page 1744.