Author Topic: American Civil war query - Hugh H Hannay  (Read 331 times)

Offline effrenata

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
American Civil war query - Hugh H Hannay
« on: Monday 15 April 24 22:18 BST (UK) »
I can't find the correct Hugh H  Hannay on the NPS Soldier Database.
Born in Belfast, Ireland 1835 and died in New York 1874 as Hugh H St Aldenheim (an alias).
In 1860 he's in Covington, Kentucky.

His Civil war service provided by his widow’s pension application(s) are attached.
Enlisted at Wartrace, Tennesee 14 Jul 1863
1st Brigade, 1st division, Res C or 4th army corps under General Whittaker (Walter Chiles Whittaker)
Shot in the leg at the Battle of Chickamauga 20 Sep 1863 and taken to Chattanooga Hospital
Wounded in cheek at Battle of Kennesaw 27 Jul 1864 (? 27 June was actual date)

I presume he was in the Army of the Cumberland but what is the regiment?
Is it worth paying US$80 for the complete pension record?

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: American Civil war query - Hugh H Hannay
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 April 24 23:29 BST (UK) »
United States Civil War Pension Files Index card for him, dated 1884. Service: Aide-de-Camp, US Vols.

Background: General Whitaker commanded the 1st Bde, 1st Div, Reserve Corps; and the 1st Div, IV Corps. Neither are a regiment, as such.

On March 26, 1862, Gordon Granger was promoted to brigadier general of volunteers and commanded the Cavalry Division, Army of the Mississippi. He conducted cavalry operations in central Tennessee before his command was merged into the Army of the Cumberland, becoming the Reserve Corps.

You probably know this already, but there's an 1867 marriage for Hugh in Brooklyn.
Hugh H. St. Aldenheim to Mary J Leonard. Groom's state/country is Scotland.
Marriage notice in the New York Herald (6 Sept 1867)

1875 death notice in the Weekly Examiner (Belfast) for him as H.H. Hanway St Aldenheim.

Perhaps there are no army enlistment records for him if he really was an aide-de-camp? Looks like he was a photographer when he died.

Offline effrenata

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 April 24 02:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ashtone.
Yes I know about those records and fairly sure the Scotland birth is not the truth.
I think the James Hannay he's with in 1860 is his brother and probably born in Belfast.
In 1865 James was working for a newspaper and absconded with $3000 when sent to New York to buy a printing press (see attached pdf) I think Hugh was also involved as in 1868 he takes out a 6 year lease on a property in Brooklyn at $600 per year.
So an aide-de-camp wouldn't have enlistment records? The second application says his rank was Captain.
I'm a bit puzzled why his wife applied twice - 2nd husband had died? but May C Folsom's death in 1895 has her as married, not widow.

Cathy

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 April 24 09:21 BST (UK) »
Just linking to the previous thread on this chap to avoid duplication of research:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=881058

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 April 24 13:39 BST (UK) »
So an aide-de-camp wouldn't have enlistment records? The second application says his rank was Captain.

Officers were entitled to a confidential assistant, known as an aide-de-camp. The aide's duties included writing and delivering orders.  This was a position of responsibility since he knew troop positions and where officer quarters were located. Many times, aide-de-camps were family or trustworthy friends.

Aide-de-camps moved with the general assigned to wherever he went, even if he was transferred. So, it makes sense that Hugh followed Gen. Whitaker to the IV Corps (or "4th Corps", as described on the wife's pension requests).

I'm not seeing any obvious army records for Hugh, unless he served under an alias? Perhaps he pivoted into an aide-de-camp role due to his clerical background -- and who he knew. (I note his occupation on the 1860 census was "clerk").

Have you checked to see if Fold3 have any records for Hugh?
Apparently...the Compiled Service Records (Fold3.com) of volunteer Union soldiers are available online.
"In the future, these records will be made available at no charge through the National Archives website".

Offline effrenata

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 April 24 20:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that explanation. I'm waiting for Anzac Day (25th April) for free access to Fold3.
Apparently Gen. Walter Chiles Whitaker was a heavy drinker - interesting because Hugh Hannay St Aldenheim's death certificate has D. potatorum as cause of death (delirium tremens). Perhaps they were drinking buddies?

Cathy

Offline effrenata

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 April 24 02:16 BST (UK) »
Have you checked to see if Fold3 have any records for Hugh?
Apparently...the Compiled Service Records (Fold3.com) of volunteer Union soldiers are available online.
"In the future, these records will be made available at no charge through the National Archives website".

Attached is what I found on Fold3. The certificate number is blank - does that mean his widow was denied a pension?

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 April 24 21:15 BST (UK) »
The certificate number is blank - does that mean his widow was denied a pension?

Normally a Certificate number meant the pension request was approved. See this document for guidance: https://www.archives.gov/files/calendar/genealogy-fair/2018/3-villaseran-handout.pdf

Offline effrenata

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 April 24 07:20 BST (UK) »
I can't find any complied service records on Fold3 for Hugh H Hannay - just the pension file.
Looks like I might have to pay the $80 for the complete pension record.
Thanks for the help though.