Author Topic: Catherine Holliday missing from 1871 census - possibly in St Lukes Workhouse?  (Read 333 times)

Offline goatfish77

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Holliday missing from 1871 census - possibly in St Lukes Workhouse?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 April 24 19:46 BST (UK) »
I see that Grays Inn (Holborn) workhouse is represented in the 1871 census. Not seeing Catherine, though.

Is she the Catherine Holleday (washerwoman) in the 1881 census? Looks like that woman's birthplace is listed as "Whitecross Street, Middlesex". That would be (or was) near St Luke's.

If the 1861 and 1881 census reports list her birthplace as Middlesex why do you think she's from Ireland? Is it just the 1851 census which gives her birthplace as Ireland? Or do other sources give Ireland as her birthplace?

By the way, I'm seeing five RC baptisms for their children (1839-1850).

Yes she is the washerwoman in 1881.
In the 1851 census when she is living with her parents they are both listed as from Ireland, as is she. I have assumed that the parents knew her correct birthplace, but she either forgot or did not want to state it on future returns. I yeah may be wrong though.

I am still looking for the family in the 1841 census too. Samuel & Catherine married in 1836 in Saint John at Hackney and son William was born 1839 at Adam & Eve Court, St Luke’s. Ellen on 1st April 1841 at Harwick Place, St Luke’s (I haven’t found that location). So they must be around there.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Holliday missing from 1871 census - possibly in St Lukes Workhouse?
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 April 24 19:50 BST (UK) »
Considering her birthplace is quite specific in the 1881 census ("Whitecross Street") I would also focus on a Middlesex birth. You might be going down a rabbit hole with Ireland.

Have you found the family in 1841?

Offline goatfish77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 April 24 19:53 BST (UK) »
Considering her birthplace is quite specific in the 1881 census ("Whitecross Street") I would also focus on a Middlesex birth. You might be going down a rabbit hole with Ireland.

Have you found the family in 1841?

No, I was just editing my reply above to say that.

Offline goatfish77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 April 24 20:11 BST (UK) »
I see that Grays Inn (Holborn) workhouse is represented in the 1871 census. Not seeing Catherine, though.

Is she the Catherine Holleday (washerwoman) in the 1881 census? Looks like that woman's birthplace is listed as "Whitecross Street, Middlesex". That would be (or was) near St Luke's.

If the 1861 and 1881 census reports list her birthplace as Middlesex why do you think she's from Ireland? Is it just the 1851 census which gives her birthplace as Ireland? Or do other sources give Ireland as her birthplace?

By the way, I'm seeing five RC baptisms for their children (1839-1850).

Out of interest can you give me a link or reference for the Grays Inn entries in 1871 please?

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 April 24 20:25 BST (UK) »
I don't have an Ancestry sub, but hopefully this should work:

Go to the 1871 census....(Holborn Workhouse, Grays Inn Lane)
Archive series    RG10
Piece number    375
Folio    105
Page    1

If it doesn't then you'll find it with this person:

Harriet Adams
Birth year 1842
Birth town - Aberdeen
Relationship - Nurse
Registration District - Holborn
Parish - St Andrew Holborn Above Bars

Offline goatfish77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 April 24 13:20 BST (UK) »
I cannot see any births for Catherine in Middlesex and can’t find her in 1841. However I have just discovered that there are the following missing sections or portions of a piece permanently missing from 1841 in the following Middlesex Parishes:
St Luke, West Finsbury, Golden-Lane, Old Street and Whitecross Street. 😥