Author Topic: Catherine McKew, McCue, McHugh, McKoan death Liverpool  (Read 82 times)

Offline liverpoolgenealogy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine McKew, McCue, McHugh, McKoan death Liverpool
« on: Saturday 20 April 24 20:43 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me find a death record for Catherine McKew?

I've had trouble pinpointing one, because her age and surname spelling vary on all the records I have of her.

Catherine was born in County Mayo, Ireland, between about 1820 and 1830. I haven't confirmed any baptism record, but there is one that is a potential match:

Catherine Mangan, born 19 October 1830, baptised 21 October 1830, residence Pollawarla, parents: Patrick Mangan, Bridget Muloy. Godparents: William Dunkan/Durkan and Penelope Murphy

I have DNA matches on Ancestry with people who are the descendants of other children of Patrick Mangan and Bridget Muloy, so that makes me favour this record, but she would've been married very young if this is the correct Catherine.

She married Martin McHugh on 7 January 1846 in Castlebar, when she would've been only 15, and he almost 40. He had been in the army for the previous 20 years, and had only returned in the November prior to his wedding. One of the census returns agrees with this birth date for Catherine, but two of them don't.

Their marriage record: January 7th, Martin MacHugh to Catherine Mangan, witnesses: Patrick Mangan, Mary Mangan.

Their children:
Castlebar:
Mary, baptised 8 Jun 1847, godparents: Patrick Mangan, Catherine Mangan
Bridget, baptised April 1849, godparents: William Mangan, Mary Malley
Patrick, baptised 27 February 1851, godparents: John Flannery, Mary Mangan
Martin, baptised 19 November 1853, godparents: Patrick and Ellen Flannery
Liverpool:
Felix, born 17 Jun 1855, baptised 8 July 1855, godparents: Edward and Ellen Healey
John Richard, born 8 Feb 1858, baptised 28 Feb 1858, godparents: Edward Heaton and Judith Curran.

Catherine's husband died on 24 December 1860, and was buried at St. Oswald, Liverpool, on 27 December 1860.

1861 census: 16 Cavendish Street, Private House, Liverpool
Catherine McHugh, Head, widow, 35, bonnet maker, born Ireland (dob, abt. 1826)
Mary Ann do, daughter, 11, born Ireland
Bridget do, daughter, 9, born Ireland
Patrick do, son, 7, born Ireland
Martin do, son, 4, born Liverpool
Felix do, daughter, 2, born Liverpool  (yes this is correct)
John do, son, 5, born Liverpool
Patrick Delaney, lodger, widow, 86, pensioner, born Ireland
Patrick Bird, lodger, unmarried 35, dealer in small wear, born Ireland

Catherine is imprisoned at least twice in the 1860s for stealing, and receiving stolen goods, as well as her son, Martin. In 1867, the local newspaper calls her a 'vile mother'.

1871 census: 3 House, 2 Court, Scotland Road (Bull's Court)
Catherine McKew, head, widow, 40, hawker, born Mayo, Ireland (dob abt. 1831)
Martin, son, 17, porter, born Mayo, Ireland
Felix, son, 14, scholar, born Liverpool
John Richard, son, 11, scholar, born Liverpool
Thomas Graham, lodger, widow, 27, [can't read his occupation], born Edinburgh, Scotland
Joseph Gilroy, lodger, married, 30, dock labourer, born Liverpool
Annie do, lodger, married, 26, dress maker, born Mayo, Ireland

1881 census: Pall Mall, 1 Court, 1 House
Catherine McKoan, head, widow, 61, born Ireland (dob abt. 1821)
Dick do, son, unmarried, 22, labourer, born Liverpool
Felix do, son, 2, born Liverpool (this was her grandson via her son Felix).

After that I'm not sure what happened to her. I can see a few possibilities in the 1880s, but they are all on the young side. I think she was most likely buried in the Ford Cemetery, as almost all of my Catholic ancestors were, there are a few between 1881 and 1891, but all are too young. Is there any better way of finding which one is her than just ordering death certificates until I find out which one, if any, is hers?

If anyone can help provide any information, I would be very grateful! Thanks  :)

Edit: apologies that this has been posted three times! My first two attempts, the page took a very long time to load, so I refreshed, assuming it wasn't going to load, but was clearly wrong.  ???

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine McKew, McCue, McHugh, McKoan death Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 April 24 21:04 BST (UK) »
You could modify the other two entries and delete al the info. And add a link to this thread.

Offline liverpoolgenealogy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine McKew, McCue, McHugh, McKoan death Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 April 24 22:05 BST (UK) »
You could modify the other two entries and delete al the info. And add a link to this thread.

Changed the titles, but KGarrad beat me to it with the links!  :)