Author Topic: Philipson / Wailes Auckland area  (Read 335 times)

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Philipson / Wailes Auckland area
« on: Sunday 21 April 24 12:32 BST (UK) »
I have Hannah Wailes b 1894 Auckland  marrying George Philipson born 1892 Winlaton/ Spen
They married in 1916 and their only child Hannah was born in 1918.
Birth registration states mother's name Wailes

I
 don't have access to the 1921 census.

I can find daughter Hannah who married Walter Copping in 1939 at Plantation Tce , Fir Tree on the 1939 register .

I can't seem to find her mother or father on the 1939 register.
I've looked at deaths and found none that were particularly likely prior to 1939

Ancestry search  throws up a divorce record for a Hannah Philipson, but my sub doesn't allow me to view the details.

I've also found a marriage for Hannah Philipson and a John W Murphy in 1923 at Auckland , which if it was her might suggest George had died.

Have tried finding Parish records on Durham County records online but to no avail.
Same with findagrave

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There could be a history of mental health problems in the Wailes family and indeed Hannah born 1918 was "estranged" from her family for over 40 years following the birth of her youngest child .

Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Philipson / Wailes Auckland area
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 April 24 12:58 BST (UK) »
Try looking for Walter Copping born 1913 in the 1939 register and you'll find Hannah

Sorry, just realised you had found her - I thought you were looking.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 April 24 12:59 BST (UK) »
There is a birth reg Auckland for the surname Murphy Thomas 1927 mothers mn Phillipson.

1939 John W Murphy is widowed.

+
Birth Reg
Murphy William Dec 1924 Wailes    Auckland    10a   458

Death Reg;
MURPHY, HANNAH       39 
GRO Reference: 1934  J Quarter in AUCKLAND  Volume 10A  Page 251
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 April 24 13:13 BST (UK) »
Try looking for Walter Copping born 1913 in the 1939 register and you'll find Hannah

I think that's Hannah born 1918 rather than Hannah born 1894 is it not, ie Walters wife?
Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 April 24 13:17 BST (UK) »
There is a birth reg Auckland for the surname Murphy Thomas 1927 mothers mn Phillipson.

1939 John W Murphy is widowed.

+
Birth Reg
Murphy William Dec 1924 Wailes    Auckland    10a   458

Death Reg;
MURPHY, HANNAH       39 
GRO Reference: 1934  J Quarter in AUCKLAND  Volume 10A  Page 251

Wonderful ! I had seen that death record , but not the birth record.
Thank you!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 April 24 13:22 BST (UK) »
Your welcome :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 April 24 13:40 BST (UK) »
It can be useful to look at the Durham County Council Indexes for marriages as they can confirm a previous marriage and likely maiden name. See link below:

https://gro.durham.gov.uk/Person/1856654/0/4
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 April 24 13:56 BST (UK) »
I have Hannah Wailes b 1894 Auckland  marrying George Philipson born 1892 Winlaton/ Spen
They married in 1916 and their only child Hannah was born in 1918.
Birth registration states mother's name Wailes

I
 don't have access to the 1921 census.

FindMyPast are currently the only access to the 1921 census and we are not allowed by RC rules to do lookups.

Your library may have access on their in house computers.
HOWEVER, FindMyPast let you register and do a search for free - then you get the option of paying either £2.50 for the transcript or £3.50 for the image

Via an account that doesn't have a sub I did a search for Hannah Phi*ipson  born 1918 in Co.Durham (as the later marriage that has been found has two l's rather than one)

1 result, Hannah Phillipson, born in Crook, lived in parish of Crook & Billy Row, Reg District Auckland
hover over the transcription icon and it says there are 4 people in total, Hannah, and Isabel and an Isabella plus one other

Repeated the search just using Hannah Phillipson, no birth year and specified living in Crook & Billy Row, Reg District Auckland
2 results 1 as above and the other was born 1894

EDIT ADDED
If you do that search for Hannah Phillipson born 1894 and on the advanced screen specify a marital status of Widowed the same record pops up again, so she is saying George had died by then.

So as we can't do an actual look up, and this looks really quite likely to be them you'd need to either pay for the image (the extra pound is worth it to be sure its transcribed correctly and also see the address panel which shows who it was addressed to) OR find a library near you who has access to FindMyPast on site.

Boo

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 April 24 20:09 BST (UK) »
It can be useful to look at the Durham County Council Indexes for marriages as they can confirm a previous marriage and likely maiden name. See link below:

https://gro.durham.gov.uk/Person/1856654/0/4
I'm not familiar with that index, so thank you very much.