Author Topic: John Lemon of Moulton burial  (Read 154 times)

Offline mrs_orrell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Lemon of Moulton burial
« on: Wednesday 24 April 24 15:30 BST (UK) »
I am still on the trail of the Lemons of Moulton. John Moulton was apprenticed to Thomas Carlisle in 1717 and went on to marry there and baptise children. I believe John is the same John baptised in Wicken, Cambridgeshire in 1700 and I am looking for a burial for him, possibly in Moulton.

I know his son, John, bapt 1731, Moulton, married in Linton, Cambs in 1761 and again in 1778. I think he is the John Lemon who is buried at Moulton in 1815. John Snr's granddaughter Phyllis Attlesey, nee Bird, marries in Soham Cambs and I think his daughter Judith marries in Swaffham Prior Cambs in 1761. So, it seems his descendants came (back?) to Cambs, but I can find no John Lemon in the Cambs Burial Index that could possibly be him so I think he remained in Suffolk. His wife was Mary, so if I could find her burial it *may* say if she was a widow at the time, which would narrow down my search. He baptises a child in 1754, so I think the search window is 1754 - 1800.

Suffolk FHS have looked up LEMON and LEMMON variations, but not any alternative spellings such as LAMON, LEMEN etc.

Any help very gratefully received.

Karen

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Lemon of Moulton burial
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 May 24 15:36 BST (UK) »
Taken from the Moulton Parish Register

John Lemon of Moulton buried 16th October 1815 age 86

Aaah sorry, I've just reread your post and I see that you know this information already!  I wasn't looking for John senior in the right time frame  ::)

Anne

Offline mrs_orrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 May 24 17:50 BST (UK) »
John Snr is being maddeningly elusive..!

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 16:21 »
Hi Karen, I've had another look at the Moulton parish registers today.  I checked fiche and film and still couldn't see a burial for John Senior anywhere.

I picked out some Lemon entries although judging by your post, you might already know this information too.

John Leman and Mary Carlisl / Carliel
Married in Moulton on 3rd February 1730 (From bishops transcripts)
The parish register looked like 1726

Baptisms of John and Mary Leman:
25 March 1727 John
22 October 1731 John
(15th) June 1734 Judith
29 Dec 1737 Judith
13 Feb 1739 Firman
15 March 1741 Elizabeth
1747 - unclear
1754 - Richard

1773 - Base child of Lucy Leman

Burials
John buried 15 April 1731 s/o John and Mary
Judith buried 10 March 1734 d/o John and Mary

Other burials - no relationship given:

Daniel Lemon - 14 August 1744
Dorothy Lemon - 24 October 1745
Ann Lemon - 11 July 1747
Robert Lemon - 4 February 1755

Mary Lemon - 18th July 1784 - age 82

Offline mrs_orrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 17:03 »
Thank you so much for this. I have been working from the Suffolk FHS transcription CD and there is a Dorothy bapt 1745, Ann 1746 and Louisa 1749 - no mention of the 1747 baptism that is illegible nor the Richard baptism in 1754... I would like to think Daniel is their son (John Lemon's maternal grandfather was called Daniel I believe) They must all be connected - there are no other Lemons in Moulton! I just need to prove Mary Lemon is also one of John Lemon and Mary Carliel / Carlisle's children! Could the Richard bapt 1754 and the Robert buried 1755 actually be the same person I wonder?