Author Topic: The Martin family  (Read 402 times)

Offline vivib53

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Martin family
« on: Friday 26 April 24 23:55 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find my grandmother's birth and her ancestry.
Her name was Mary Kate Martin. In 1924 she married my grandfather James Patrick Burns in Dublin. He was a professional footballer playing for a Dublin team, so this could be the reason they married there. Her father's name was noted as William a labourer, and the two witnesses John and Letitia Martin.                                                                                                                                                   They had four children very quickly, Kevin born 1925 in Reading UK , James was now playing for Reading FC. James  in 1926( from death notice) and my mother Mary Bridget in 1927 all born Dromore Co Down. My mother said she was the youngest, but there was a brother George whose birth I can't find. Maybe born before the marriage.                                                                                            Mary died in 1929 at Banbridge hospital, a heart attack due to pre eclampsia in pregnancy. Her death certificate states she was 25.                                                                                                     I've searched Irish and British records and can't find her birth or anything else to do with the Martin family. The church St Colmans where she is buried( info from a distant relative in Dromore) have said they have no info on the Martin family. I am starting with County Down as this is where James and his family are from. I thought I had found her birth but the person went to the USA so not her. Anyone recognise any of the names? Thanks.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Martin family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 April 24 21:39 BST (UK) »
I’m sure several people have tried searches to help you but like you without success.
Letitia seemed the best to search for as her name is more uncommon than Mary Kate but I didn’t have any luck with her having a father William and younger sister Mary or Mary Kate. Do you know if Letitia was a sister or perhaps a cousin?

It looks like your best chance is to contact the church in Dublin, both parents should be named on the church register and also their address.

I was hoping as James was a footballer there would be a mention in the Newspapers but no luck so far. I did find he was playing for Shelbourne in Dublin.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 April 24 22:28 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

For reference, here's the marriage of Mary Kate Martin in 1924-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1924/09164/5314579.pdf

Wonder if Letitia Martin could be Mary Kate's sister-in-law?
There is this marriage in 1909 but it's in Lisburn- the groom is a widower called William Martin-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1909/10034/5649688.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline vivib53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 April 24 22:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I've researched all the names and possibilities with no joy

Offline vivib53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 April 24 22:53 BST (UK) »
I've already contacted both churches in Dublin and Dromore. Other than Mary being buried in Dromore which I know, there are no records.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 April 24 23:38 BST (UK) »
The couple that marries in 1909 are Catholic. The only Letitia Martin who fits the bill in the 1911 census is a widow, aged 30 in Ballyclan, Co. Antrim, a domestic servant. Also in the household is a Maggie Doud, aged 23, also a servant, and single. 

Death of William in Ballyclan in 1910:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1910/05422/4515291.pdf

Letitia Mallon, aged 25, is at home with her family (headed by father Robert), a cambric weaver, in Ballykeel, Co. Antrim, in the 1901 Census.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 00:00 BST (UK) »
Using the search function available on A***try for the 1911 census, these are the options for a Mary Martin born around 1904 with a father named William:

Monkstown Farm, Kingstown #3, Dublin -- Catholic

Windsor Avenue, Templecorran, Co. Antrim (noted as Mary Ritchie Josephine)

Ballintemple, Blackrock, Co. Cork -- Catholic

Woodvale Road, Shankill, Belfast (noted as Mary Kathleen) -- Presbyterian

Cableroad Street, Templecorran, Co. Antrim (noted as Maria Dennison Martin).

Offline vivib53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 00:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I and others have checked all these. They are not the family.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile