Author Topic: Alexander Grierson  (Read 506 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Grierson
« Reply #27 on: Monday 29 April 24 09:01 BST (UK) »
I am sure that my tracking of the McKellar family is correct.
Yes, I agree.

It's the next steps back that are potentially more difficult to be sure about.

I assume that in this case the Nancy= Anne
I keep reminding myself never to make assumptions :)

In every one of the baptisms of the family of Duncan Campbell, his wife's name is recorded as Agnes McKoel. There is not one single original record on Scotland's People naming a Nancy McKoel. So you don't need to account for Nancy=Agnes or for Nancy=Ann(e). You need to be sure why Agnes' daughter named a child (who was not her first daughter) Anne, but appears not to have named a daughter Agnes, which was the well documented given name of her mother.

Could they, for instance, have had an older daughter named Agnes whose baptism is not in the surviving records? I don't see a marriage record to see whether there was a gap between the marriage and the arrival of Duncan in 1798.

And why did Margaret Campbell not name one of her sons Neil after her brother?

On the other hand the presence of a Sophia among Agnes McKoel's daughters and another Sophia among her granddaughters is potentially a useful connection.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 29 April 24 12:03 BST (UK) »
Fortarian
              The marriage of Peter and Margaret was recorded as Peter McEllar in Dec.1797, Kilmun Dunoon and they were of Coul Glenfinnert.
  Duncan and Agnes McKeol marriage is at Lochgoilhead 19th july 1857.
 Margaret death registration gives her parents as Duncan Campbell and Nancy McNaughton.
Margaret's brother James death registration gives his parents  Duncan Campbell and Nancy Naughton.
 My notes on this marriage were as follows:  The McKoel name appears to have dissappeared from the Lochgoilhead records about the late 1770's.
McKoel is a Sept name of the MacNaughton clan so it is likely that subsequent family members reverted to the clan name or variants of it.
    Then for Margaret to be buried at Lochgoilhead confirms to me that this is where she had been born .
   Duncan Campbells family was also large with 10 children.
 Margaret was the 10th   29th Oct 1775. Her brother James was the 9th born 1773
  There is no doubt that this was Margaret McKellars family.
 These dates are from the Lochgoilhead records.
Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 29 April 24 16:29 BST (UK) »
Good. Glad to see you've got some useful evidence to support your investigations.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.